Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all want whats best for our cats, right? We are not always made of money either. I just don't know what to do about litter. I know there must be dozens of threads about litter here and I am going to look for them but really, what is the right one? LOL

I'm reading that silica in the cheaper clumping litters can be carcinogenic. I read that wood and paper litters (feline pine and yesterdays news types) aren't great at odor control and don't clump as well. And then there are corn based ones like World's Best Cat Litter which sound promising until I see the price.

So you have to pick which options are priority....health/odor control/clumpabilty/price.

AHHHHHH!

SO how do you guys do it. And why can't there be a perfect litter.

Oh, and I am thinking about trying out horse pine bedding which I hear is identical to Feline Pine and a fraction of the cost. Any of you cat aficionados use this?

·
Registered
273 Posts
i would highly recommend the pine pellets.

i started using it a little over a year ago when i started to socialize pretty girl. i used it for a couple of reasons; first was that since it was wood it seemed like she would "take to it" easier since she was used to going pee in the woods and second since she had a nasty upper respiratory infection right after i trapped her i was worried about any dust aggravating her nasal passage.

i love it since it truly is eco-friendly, does a fine job at odor control and you can't beat the price - i pick it up at a feed store for $7 per 30 lb bag.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I just starting using World's Best and I really like it, but it's expensive - especially with three cats. So far, I've been mixing it half-and-half with the cheap stuff I have left (Special Kitty, Tidy Cats (on sale)).

·
Banned
602 Posts
I have used Fresh Step Clumping litter with all my cats for years. I love it and have never had a cat that wouldnt use the litter box and the next best thing is you can NEVER smell my house (and its small)! :thumb

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yayhappens...so instead of scooping, you just dump it out? With liner? Hmmm. interesting. And Beautiful cat, btw. Although, they are all beautiful. I love cats with points.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I buy Precious Cat on Amazon for $15 with $6 shipping for unlimited bags from Petco. The bags are 40lbs. I generally order 200lbs at a time. It is the best clumping litter that I have used (other than Cat Attract). Low dust, no smell.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Oiy... I couldn't stand to let pee-dust sit in the bottom of a pan for half a week! Doesn't that smell??
Besides, Paizly won't use pellets... I did try it once, and I think they hurt her leg stubs (born without paws, just little stubs for back legs). I've also heard of other cats taking pellets out of the box and batting them around like hocky pucks through the house and getting it all messy! LOL

I use Fresh Results (sold at some Wal-Marts). It's basically Nature's Miracle, but half the price and smells just like Feline Pine. So it's a mixture of both. Oh, and it really IS 99% dust free. That's why I quit using clay, is because scooping - let alone dumping new into the box - put up too much of a cloud of dust and I always coughed and gagged with it. Fresh Results/Nature's Miracle only seems to have a LITTLE dust when you pour into the box.
I scoop twice a day. Once a month, I dump everything out, scrub the box with bleach, vinager, rinse with water and put a new layer of litter in.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I didn't know there were different kinds of litter. Here we all use clay, and goes without saying that the bathroom floor gets wet and the wet clay sticks to the floor, making it very hard to wash the bathroom floor, and impossible to sweep. You guys are lucky. Marie mentioned Tidy Cats as cheap litter - here Tidy Cats is the most expensive and almost no one can afford it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Oh, and I am thinking about trying out horse pine bedding which I hear is identical to Feline Pine and a fraction of the cost. Any of you cat aficionados use this?
THIS is exactly what I am using. I bought them at Rona's garden center for $5 per 40lb bag. You can't beat the price :D

There is no odor except when my cat just pooped (but the smell is gone in minutes), no tracking, no dust, and all natural. It is not clumping, but I just need to scoop the poop and flush it in toilet, then throw the entire box and put new pellets in once a week. So the maintainance is very minimal, and its very clean comparing to the clumping litter that people keep add new litter on the used one. Yes, it's a bit of waste but with price like that, who cares :D

The only complaint I have with it is its seasonal, only available in spring-summer. So I usually buy 10 bags at once, which is enough for 2 cats to last for a year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YAYHAPPENS, thank you for the pictorial. I LOVE pictorials! More pictures people!!!

So this pan is only available online and its forty bucks with shipping? Yikes. It seems so simple. Lets just say that at the moment...I have to be as frugal as possible.

Also...litter liners. I like the concept. But has anyone ever used regular plastic bags as opposed to specific cat litter box liners? I think I need to finangel something because I can't justify buying cat doodoo bags at the moment. LOL.

Right now I have Dollar General's cheapo cat litter and Arm and Hammer's Double Duty. Before this, she was using the gravel in my driveway. LOL. I hope she continues to be an unpicky cat!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've also heard of other cats taking pellets out of the box and batting them around like hocky pucks through the house and getting it all messy! LOL
Frankly, that happens to my Meatball couple of times. But she didn't take out the pellet intentionally. It's when she jumped out of the box and kicked a piece out, then she will play a bit kitty hocky with it. But since it's only once a month or so, and only one piece of clean, whole pellet, it's really not getting to the point of making the house messy :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I used to use World's Best- I absolutely loved how it worked, but HATED the smell. So I changed to Cat's Best. They love it and it's so easy to scoop. It's £8 per 10lbs which lasts us 5-6 weeks with four litter trays and two cats.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
I'm a die hard World's Best user myself. My only complaint is the coating of dust it leaves. I didn't notice it when I had my litter box in the spare walk in closet...until I moved. Then I saw all the stuff in there coated in dust. In my new place there isn't a deep hidden spot for the box so I'll be dusting the items around it more often (more lived in area) so it won't be as much of an issue.

I quite enjoy the smell of it. My family raises Ring Necked pheasants and it smells just like the feed (corn based) my brother grinds for the birds. As soon as I open a new bag I take a big wuff of it and smile.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Marie mentioned Tidy Cats as cheap litter - here Tidy Cats is the most expensive and almost no one can afford it.
Tidy Cats is NOT cheap here (that's why I said "on sale"). It was about 40% off a while ago at Target, which was a bargain, so I stocked up.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts