Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kitties are two days shy of turning four weeks (can you believe it?!). From what I've read, they should start getting aquainted with the litterbox around 5 weeks. Unfortunately, most sites won't tell you how to do this. Where's the best spot for a litter pan? How big should it be? What kind of litter material should I use? I've heard they pretty much train themselves, so will I need to play much of an active part, or just let them figure it out?

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Again as with the food I let them figure it out alone. I used catsan cat litter, and got a couple of kitten litter trays (low sides so they can get in) Mainly from watching thier mummy they learn to use it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Most cats will figure it out on their own. BUT, there are some things that help.

When one of them poops on the floor, DON'T throw the poo away. Instead put it in the litter box, and take them to it. When they see it there (or smell it), they will usually get the point that the litterbox is where these things go.

Unfortunatly, some are more stubborn than others. In some cases when my kittens like to poo in one place on the floor, i will either give up and put the litter box over it, or make a temporary litterbox from a shoebox and put it there, then when they start using it, take it away, or put it in the normal place.... and show them that it has moved. They are smarter than most people give them credit for.

If this STILL doesn't work, (and i have some stubborn kittens), establish a punishment method. Like, a newspaper, or fly swatter, something they associate with being punished (all i need to do is snap at mine, but newspapers are great as well). When they go on the floor, smack the newspaper at them as a warning, hit them if they start to go and take them to the box. When they go in the litterbox, reward them with a treat or a favorite toy.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I remember when I was younger, we took in a kitten that was in our field without a mom, it was at the age where its eyes were open and it was a little wobbly but could walk. We used the top of a shoebox for a litter box and put him in there after meals, or when it looked like he was going to potty. We were surprised at how well he caught on. After "going" in his litter box we would take his little paw and make a scratching motion with it in the litter. He learned very quickly considering he didn't have another cat around to teach him. I think his little instincts started to take over as soon as he realized what the box was for.

Once you put the litterbox somewhere, show the kittens where it is and leave it there, otherwise if you move it they will probably poop in the spot where it used to be. As for litter, I just used regular kitty litter. Litter boxes could be a pie pan (one of those cheap metal ones, not one you are going to use!), lid off of a shoebox, something that does not have high sides. Good luck with the babies!

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would Yesterday's News be okay (the stuff I use for Scully)? I know it's a little "chunky", and they can be really particular about walking on new textures. Or should I just use regular clay litter (non-clumping)?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Samantha's right, take the poo and put it in teh box. Plus, they'll see mommy using it.

Oh, and be prepared to laugh silly, when they make their first hard poo, they will cry like they're giving birth, it's hillarious from what i heard :D :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Get non-clumping clay litter definitly!

Kittens will instinctively eat the litter at first. clumping clay will clump in their stomachs and cause a whole plethera of problems. I learned this the hard way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts