Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, please help us!

My kitty is about 2 months old and is having trouble with litter training. She doesn't want to pee in the box, she only poops there (sometimes she still will have accidents outside the box, but that doesn't worry me that much, since she is still a baby). I would like to know how do i make her understand that litter box is also for peeing, because she really never goes there to pee? I have tried putting her there right after peeing and also when I see her preparing to pee, but she just doesn't want to. Is this normal at her age or should I worry?

·
Registered
82 Posts
How old was she when you got her? Usually the mom litter box trains the kittens when they are about 4 weeks old. I have almost 5 week old kittens and they are all litter box trained already. It seems to help by putting them into the box as soon as they wake up and right after they eat, and then 5-10 minutes after that as well. If that doesn't work then have treats sitting by the litterbox and everytime she pees in it, give her a treat and say good girl and let her know that she did something good. I hope she learns quickly! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got her about a week ago, before that she was with her mom. I think the problem is that her mom was hiding her outside, so she probably never used a litter box until now...
One time I noticed that she was about to pee, so I put her in the box, but she climbed out. I put her back again and she climbed out again. The third time she climbed out I thought, ok, maybe she doesn't need to go. But she peed the minute she got out of the litter box :) on the floor, of course :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
The fact that her mom hid her outside is definitely the cause! Usually the owner/shelter provides the mom with a small litterbox for the kittens and the mom teaches them with that, but in your situation the kittens never learned. You could always try putting her into the litterbox after she drank some water and taking a wash cloth that has some lukewarm water on it and rubbing her bottom area to get her going and soon enough she should pick up on it and start using the litterbox all the time. Always use positive reinforcement, and just keep trying, cats are stubborn! haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts