Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some difficulties with my cat using her litter tray. I have had her since August and there have been no issues until recently. She will use the litter tray for her urine, however refuses to use it for her poo. She will do it in the room where the litter tray is (the toilet room) however will do it on the tiled floor rather than in the tray. She has never ventired outside of the room and done it on the carpet in the hall.

I have tried moving her litter tray around the room, and this has not made any difference. We have not changed the litter we use - it is the same as that they used at the animal shelter we got her from.

Can anyone have any ideas around why this could be a problem. I am concerned about whether it is a medical issue rather than an environmental.

We have recently started feeding her meat as well as the dried food complete food. This has been because she has been having dandruff problems. Could this be a contributory cause.

Please give advice as I am unsure what to do next.

Thanks

Smudge

·
Registered
283 Posts
To me it definatly sounds like there's something medical going on. I'm no expert, but if it where me, I'd have him checked by a vet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have had our cat checked by the vet who states that there are no medical issues, however the cat is still doing it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear your kitty is not pooing in the box. Do you have another animal in the house or get a new animal? Sometimees that can be the problem. Also, I had a vet yrs back tell me that if a cat pees or poops on the floor like that to bring the cat over to the mess and stick their nose NEAR it not in it and give it a tap near the behind and tell them in a stern voice "No, no poop on the floor" then put the cat in the litterbox and say "you go potty in the kittybox". I had done that with 3 of my cats I had then and it worked on all 3. Eventually they all started to go in the box. It may take a little bit but try it cuz it worked for me and could possibly work for you. Don't feel bad about giving the tap on the behind. It will teach the kitty that you mean business. You might even want to try leaving the cat in that room for about 20 minutes after you do that. This has worked for my cats and hopefully will work for you. Good thing you don't have carpeting in the bathroom. lol Well I hope this helps you. Take care!! :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
poo outside box

Some cats prefer to pee in one box and poo in another. You might try a second box, and also different types and depths of litter in each box (some cats are uncomfortable squatting if they sink too much in the sand, especially if they are declawed or overweight). Since she has a preference for the floor, you might want to try a box with no litter at all. It's probably a matter of finding out what her preference is. For other options see our articles in the free library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would suggest to try the wood based litter, it is very good...maybe the cat doesnt like to poop in the litter u r using, I bet it's sand...try another box like dr.jean said but with a different litter...try the wood one...it's all about preferences, your cat has no medical problem....

now, let's see if someone has any suggestions for me...my cat uses the litter tray, where i have wood based litter, i have no problem with him, but when I leave home, especially for longer periods, he really likes to do it on my duvet, in top of my bed, just to get revenge I think....

like last night.....I am leaving this morning for 2 weeks....so last night, after I packed my stuff, ( he was in my Samsonite of couse as usual, not letting me pack), he went to the bedroom, noone saw him, and he peed right in top of my duvet....grrrrrrrr........ :twisted:

now......I really dont know what to do about this.....I tried leaving the doors closed when I left, he opens the doors......this time, I will tie my doors between them with a string.......lol, let's see what he is going to do now......

but has anyone any suggestions for me what to do so this won't happen again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
pee on duvet

A good rule in peeing problems is "protect your stuff." A simple solution, though not very decorative, is to throw a tarp on the bed to protect it. This would probably work very well for you, since he only does this under limited conditions (you packing). He gets the satisfaction, and you get an easy clean-up!

I try not to ascribe motivations such as "revenge" to a cat's actions, but sometimes it's really tempting! I had one cat who, when she was highly annoyed, would march straight into the bathroom and poop on the rug (she did it daily when I was away and she didn't care for my roommate! He was, of course, too stupid to simply pick up the rug!). I do see that as a statement of some kind! Remember, cats have limited ways of communicating...it's not like they can write you a letter or sit you down for a heart-to-heart chat! I certainly "got the message" when Spirit would do that, and I think it's pretty clear that your cat is expressing his opinion of your trips away from home!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you SURE it's not the litter? I know you said you are using the same litter that the animal shelter used, but how do you know she actually likes it?

When we brought our baby home, we also used the same litter, same food everything. Her litterbox is in the downstairs bathroom - she was initially okay with using the litter box. That lasted only 1 week, she then started doing business behind the toilet on the linoleum.

Our vet suggested switching litter brands - we did and problem solved. She has not gone outside her box since and it's been over 3 months.

Her biggest problem is trying to cover her jobs. We were watching TV one day and heard her scratching so hard to cover it. When we walked over to check out how she was doing I had to dodge a piece of cat poo, as she flung it right out the bathroom door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts