Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly thinking with the wallet here. They do carry cat litter at the dollar store here, but its SOO dusty. I have been kind of sifting it a bunch with the scoop when i add it to shake some of it out. does anyone else do this? it still clumps just fine but i wonder if it truly is less dust??

is dust even much to worry about?

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's probably not on par with the dollar store brand, but I bought 18kg of the Costco litter and I hate it.

Dust definitely matters. If my lungs feel like they're clumping when I'm cleaning that box, I can't imagine what it's like when Io-cat does her daily mining. She uses it just fine, no accidents, bu I can't handle it.

Of course, the costco stuff also has the added "benefit" of not clumping well and smelling like a lemon died.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Sifting it just stirs up the dust. No...there's really no way to eliminate it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I used to live at home on the farm I used to put it in an old flour sifter, shaking and blowing the dust from it before putting it in the box, slow process.. but it was worth it to me at the time. I'm extremely sensitive to the dust as well.

You may consider trying the Breeze system. It's my favorite so far, and I haven't heard anything negative about it yet? No more dust! For me, It's even easier to clean than those ridiculously loud self scooping cat boxes. I love the idea, but that noise was just... wow!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Light & Fresh litter from Cat's Pride is non-dusting and not as expensive as some of the other litters. I switched to it from ScoopAway, which was very dusty and I could smell it in my hair.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've tried most of the clumping litters, couldn't stand the dust! Then found Precious Cat Ultra (blue bag), zero dust!! They'll even pay for your first bag! ( check under rebates and offers)

Precious Cat Litter

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've tried most of the clumping litters, couldn't stand the dust! Then found Precious Cat Ultra (blue bag), zero dust!! They'll even pay for your first bag! ( check under rebates and offers)

Precious Cat Litter
Wow, thanks for the rebate link. Based on the positive reviews from people here, I bought my first bag of Precious Cat a few weeks ago and have been mixing it in with her old litter (Tidy Cats).

So far it's working great!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
With clumping letter it's been my experience that you get what you pay for. One of the dustiest was one I got from WalMart (don't recall the name). I'm using Pet Valu store's own brand Fresh4Life and it has little dust, good at keeping odor away and is a good price too.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would suggest you avoid clay litter altogether. Ever since I read about the silica dust, I've switched to World's Best Cat Litter and it works great. WBCL is a corn litter. There is little dust.

They are coupons available for it and you can get a rebate on the small bag on their website.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Canada though, so i probably cant lol.

I cant remember the name of what i normally use. its from pet valu in a purple bag... i normally lug out the biggest one because its the best price there. but sometimes im just not that strong and buy whatevers around (hense the dollar store stuff). i wont buy that stuff anymore but, not sure whats best for them, and the price.

The dust doesnt bother me at all besides being a tad unpleasant. but its more them that im worried about.

I looked at that cat attract stuff once. holy expensive! it was like $30 for the smallest bag in the world... im sure its good litter but thats just insane! lol.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
I looked at that cat attract stuff once. holy expensive! it was like $30 for the smallest bag in the world... im sure its good litter but thats just insane! lol.
Yes, but no one needs Cat Attract unless you have a LB problem. The plain old Precious Cat by Dr. Elsey is practically dust-free. It's not cheap, but it's a lot less expensive than the Cat Attract--and well worth it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Purina Maxx scoop is pretty good and cheap, we get big buckets of it from Walmart or Canadian Tire for under 10 bucks.

·
Registered
978 Posts

I cant remember the name of what i normally use. its from pet valu in a purple bag... i normally lug out the biggest one because its the best price there. but sometimes im just not that strong and buy whatevers around (hense the dollar store stuff). i wont buy that stuff anymore but, not sure whats best for them, and the price.

The dust doesnt bother me at all besides being a tad unpleasant. but its more them that im worried about.

World's Best isn't too expensive. I order mine online because I would have to drive over an hour in good traffic to get it. Even with the online mark up, it isn't that expensive. It seemed to be at first but it's really not. I bought 21lbs in February and I still have some left. It scoops really well.

The 3 7lb bags I bought using 3 coupons and a rebate on one came out to be about $15.

I try to use as many coupons/rebates as I can because it can get really expensive.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

i don't know if you can get it in canada, but eco-flame (or whatever brand you can find) wood stove pellets are made of compressed pine and they're 4.38 for 40 lbs. a bag lasts six weeks or so and i have three cats.

unfortunately not all cats will use it but it's worth it if your cats will. it kills all urine odor and depending on what you feed your cats, if the poo isn't stinky it's so easy to get rid of. plus you can even mulch the used litter (sans poo) because it's just sawdust.

if you have a special box (and i still don't yet so i sift the pellets with a scooper) there is virtually no dust. if you use it just make sure no accelerants have been added. i know there are hardwood and softwood types in different areas so the ones you are able to get might not even be pine, which wouldn't do anything for urine odor but the price is right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts