Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a job, and can afford to pamper my kitties properly, I am now stuck with decisions of just what is the absolute best stuff to get.
I already began switching to raw food the last couple weeks and will hopefully be fully transitioned by the end of next month (Zinny is being the most stubborn about not eating something that's not can-shaped).

Now for litter. I had been using Fresh Results, which I absolutely love. When they say 99% dust free, they mean it! It literally takes DAYS for the very faint layer of dust to build up on the sides of the litter box. 10 lbs lasts a month (probably even longer, if I didn't dump it out to put fresh stuff in), and the smell...divine! (well, for me anyway).
But, I was doing research on litter, and apparently corn can grow some sort of toxic fungus when it gets wet.

I hate clay litter of all types. Swheat scoop turns to mud. Paizly will not use pellets, because I think it hurts her stub of her back half-leg.
Then I was going to use the new Blue Buffallo walnut stuff.... until somebody told me to be careful because, like humans, cats can be very allergic to nut products. Oiy!
So I bought an 8 lbs bag and will try it tomorrow morning...if ANY of the cats show ANY signs of allergic reaction, I will throw it away and take them to the vet if need be.

There's also the option of making my own litter from shredded newspaper. I have a "recipe" that takes a few hours to make, but is supposed to resemble the size and texture of other recycled paper stuff. I can get garbage bags full of shredded paper for free at work, so even if it does take a bit of effort...hey, FREE litter! YAY!

Yesterday's News apparently came out with a softer texture...I may try that, but not really putting any hope into it. If litter is not very fine and/or soft, Paizly won't use it.
There's PaPurr that is good texture, but the clumping kind smells like old woman perfume, and I hate non-clumping kinds...too inconvenient (yes, I'm lazy ;p)

So... gonna try the ground walnut shells type first. If that goes bad, I'll try Yesterday News softer kind. If THAT doesn't work, I'll try the home made kind.
Anybody have any other ideas? At this point, I really don't care about cost. Health for me and my kitties is most important.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Walnut can also grow "stuff". I highly suggest a mix of Shweat Scoop and a corn based litter. It's what we use (a raw fed house). Clumps really well, no wet spots, etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I finally switched from clay litter a couple months back, when I realized the cheap dusty stuff I was buying was making Moxie sneeze. She's a serious digger in the litter box so it doesn't surprise me that the clay was kicking up too much dust for her.

I bought a couple different kinds of litter (corn and wheat) and I've been slowly trying each of them out. I too am lazy, so I want something good for my cats that's also very easy to clean. I WISH I could like SweatScoop, but I've found it sticks to the sides of the box like cement and clogs the toilet even when I try to flush very small amounts. Right now I like World's Best the most - it's not very dusty, it doesn't have a strong smell, it flushes easily, but it doesn't clump very tightly and man is it expensive. It never occurred to me to mix the two... Now I'm interested. I might have to give that a try.

I'm really curious about this homemade litter recipe though! Free litter sounds really good. I suppose it's not a recipe for clumping litter - I'm not sure how you would be able to make clumping litter. Although if you're able to get it for free it might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The recipe is for newspaper, but since I don't get the newspaper (my dad cancelled cuz he thought it was getting too expensive), I told the people at work I would take the shredded documents instead of having them put it in the dumpster ...which is NOT recycled! Utah is not very environmentally friendly :/

This doesn't clump, so you have to change it out at least once a week. Only solids (poop) you can scoop out. So while I'm getting the litter for free, it's not very convenient as I like to only change litter once a month, as I have 4 boxes to do.
I would use Dawn dish soap, since I figure if it's safe for penguins and seals, it should be safe for cats. Not that there'd be much (if any) they could get on their paws for licking off when grooming.

home made litter recipe

·
Registered
351 Posts
We are down to three cats from four.

I got a LiterMaid Littermaid® - Products - Self Cleaning Litter Tray many years ago and have been very happy with it. I altered it a bit by raising it up on a wood stand and eliminated the need for the liter trays. Once the rake moves to the end it dumps the clumps into a small dishpan below that has a plastic grocery bag in it. when I need to dump the contents I merely lift it and tie it up and put it with the upstairs trash bags.

I keep a clay liter box in the room Eliza spends most of her time in and a small clumping liter box in the bathroom corner so that each cat can use the boxes and have privacy tho it seems that most just choose the one that is most empty.

Oh I keep a small liter box on the back porch with a waterer in case one of the two 'children' don't heed the "Last Call" command before I lock up the rear door to the porch. It didn't take long for them to learn what that meant, especially when it is colder outside. I used to have another command, "headcount" whereby all would gather to me for a treat at nite and then I could make sure all were accounted for...but, with the loss of CC, I stopped this practice.....Now I do a silent count before bedtime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts