Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a cat Monday, March 3 from the Humane Society. Everything went well. He uses the litterbox, doesn't scratch up the house. The past couple of days, there has been a problem and I don't know what to do.

The last couple of mornings at 5:30AM the cat gets into his litter box (Its Covered) and starts playing in it. He scratches and kicks the box creating alot of noise. The box is outside my door so I've been waking up very early the past couple mornings with very little sleep. I was thinking about moving the box to another room farther away, but would like to know what you guys suggest.

He is a 2-3 year old tabby btw.

Thank You

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just thought of something. I think he is playing with the liner in the box. He's not using the box when he does this. The liner is shreaded and would make a good toy. Do you think this is what is happening? Can I just remove the liner completely?

·
Registered
177 Posts
As long as it's kept clean, why not let him play in there? My 12 year old male Ben does a similar thing. He scratches away at the side of the box for about 10 minutes after he has done his business. Not sure what he's doing that for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've only been able to get about 3-4 hours of sleep the past few nights because of this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would move the lter box to an other area of the house and also remove the liner. You might try to have a card board box for your cat to play in too somewhere else beside outside your bedroom door. If the cat still plays in it try taking off the cover this might help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He went a few nights without 'playing' in his box, but this morning I found him scratching on the plastic ledge of the box. We were planning to move it anyway, but I wanted to know if there is anything I should do when I move it? Will he continue to use it like normal?

Thanks

BTW, here is a picture

http://home.boone.net/~rchawg/Cat/doc3.jpg

·
Registered
216 Posts
What a pretty kitty! I just recently moved my litter box. I put a litterbox in the new spot but left the old one where it was. I had 2 boxes going. When the cats found the new box and used it a few times i discontinued the original box. It worked for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts