Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing...

I have an opportunity to adopt a Savannah cat, 4th generation, though appears to be high percentage Savannah. This pic (on petfinder.com) is a bit blurry but you can tell she looks incredible.

Here's the thing, while she is now in a foster home, and litterbox trained, they tell me when she was in another foster home she would pee on papers. At first I thought they meant on the floor, but now they tell me that if the family placed mail and other papers on the counter she would jump up and pee on them as if to say "these don't belong here".

This would be my only cat (if I don't get this one I have a deposit placed on a Bengal kitten)

I really don't want to re-train a cat and don't want to chance that this may be a repeating behavior with this girl.

I guess I'm looking for someone who has had to re-train a cat to tell me that this may be more than I am bargaining for.

I realize that there is no guarantee of this cat's behavior or the other Bengal that I am looking at, but at least with the new kitten, properly socialized and trained by it's mom and the breeder, I may likely have a more positive outcome.

I know that if I think that this cat is not right for me, then it's better to not take a her and then return her to foster later.
http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/AZ26/AZ26.20493587-1-x.jpg
Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
I think if you're worried about having to retrain a cat, work with it, deal with possible inappropriate peeing, you're probably better off with the kitten. Maybe someone with more experience would be better to adopt the other cat and work with her. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

My advice would be to adopt the kitten.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts