Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have 2 litterboxes. One was for Stix (my first, older cat/ bigger box) The other was for Kota (new kitten, smaller box) because she couldnt climb into the big one. Well, Kota is bigger now and can use the bigger box just fine. So I tried taking the little one away. And she started to pee in the spot where it used to be. I had to put it back with a plastic thing underneath.
The other day I was cleaning the boxes out and noticed, there is only poo in the big one, and only pee in the little one......WEIRD!

How do I get them to go in the bigger box only without causing Kota to have accidents in the empty spot?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
That's funny; my parents cats pee in one box and poop in the other. They haven't tried to take them away though. (When they're at our cottage they only use one litterbox without any problems.)

I don't know of any advice on how to downsize to just one box, but most people recommend that you have a box for each cat.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I only have one cat, but she has the biggest litterbox I could find. She tends to pee in one half of the box and deposit her poop in the other. I would be willing to bet if she had two boxes at her disposal she would do what jonsgirl's cats are doing. :roll:
From my experience, cats get pretty used to a certain spot to go. Your bigger box looks good-sized for the picture, otherwise my suggestion would be one BIG box.
I think it is pretty common for people with two cats to need to provide two litterboxes for them.
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I wouldn't try to change this -- if you have two cats, you should have two litterboxes too. Most vets will tell you to get one litterbox for each cat, plus one. And yes -- oftentimes the cats will poo in one and pee in the other, instead of each using their own. It would be kind of unfair to force them to use only one if you think about it -- so I'd leave the other one out. Yeah -- it means you'll have to clean two instead of one...but...more cats = more responsibilities. :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My cats sometimes do the peeing in one and pooping in another, but it's not a hard and fast rule. Generally they poop in the big, covered litterbox and pee in the smaller box.
I think you may be stuck with two boxes. I had thought about just having the big one once Justin got settled in, but I just kept both of them instead. That way if I scoop them less often, the cats don't get too freaked out about it being messy, they can just go use the other box! Plus the poop and pee seem to accumulate pretty quickly when you only have one box.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This reminds me of when I was a new cat owner and thought I was taking my cat's poop sample into the vet's office for worm testing.

It was urine.

I couldn't tell the difference w/ the super-clumping litter. It was in the same shape! So the vet got a good laugh, I turned red, and my kitty had to bear them taking a stool sample in the office. :( Poor baby.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys, I have decided to keep 2 boxes but throw out the little one and trade it for a second, larger one. I still have to keep the plastic underneath though, because my boyfriend is telling me that Kota will go on the carpet sometimes when Im not here. She's a sneak!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
lunamistique -- what a great story! I can easily see how that could happen. We do funny things when we're new owners. :)

jonsgirl -- what a cute new picture of Kota in your avatar! I love when they do that. Tell her I say "peek-a-boo."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts