Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybpdy have one of these and if so, can i ask a few questions..

1. does it get clogged up fast, if so, when i get one, how do i prevent it
2. how loud is it when it cleans
3. should i get the best deal(cleaner, ramp, hood and mat for $159) or just the cleaner for $99
4. does the box smell anyworse than a regular littler box?

ok, thats about all the questions i have.... thx for answering them

·
Registered
283 Posts
1. I've never had a problem with this unless I add to much litter in the pan, and then you just remove a little litter and it works wonderful.
2. Mine isn't very noisy, but you do notice a noise. I have mine in my bedroom, and I turn it off at night, but it doesn't bother anyone during the day.
3. It depends on your cat-I have just the littermaid, but if you have a cat that likes to dig in the litter box and make a mess, I'd recommend getting the tent and ramp with it so you don't have to clean up litter all over your house.
4. I really don't notice ANY smell with mine! I dump the waste holder every other day, and it's ALOT less smelly then cleaning the conventional litter boxes.

You might want to check E-bay. I got mine there for $59.99 with free shipping! It was a retail return, but it looked brand new. They must not have used it very long at all! I love my littermaid, I'd never be without it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
4. I really don't notice ANY smell with mine! I dump the waste holder every other day, and it's ALOT less smelly then cleaning the conventional litter boxes.
What type of litter are you using? We've tried Arm&Hammer and the smell is bad enough to make us consider going back to the regular litter box.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actaeon said:
What type of litter are you using? We've tried Arm&Hammer and the smell is bad enough to make us consider going back to the regular litter box.
i use scoop away, its only like 9$ for a 20-25 pound bucket.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
1. My rake rarely gets clogged. When it does I just use a scooper to clean off the rake. Be careful not to overfill it with litter, that really stresses the motor

2. Not very loud, the noise lasts approximately 20 seconds - it's located in the bathroom across the hall from my bedroom and almost never wakes me.

3. I only have the box and ramp... i'm going to purchase the tent because my cats track litter everywhere.

4. not at all... only if you let the resovior get real full. I use Tidy Cat crystals blend scoopable.. $7.29 for 14lb

·
Registered
283 Posts
Actaeon said:
I use either Freshstep Scoop, or Freshstep Scoop with Crystals. I love Freshstep-It's the best for odor control that I've found so far! How often do you dump yours? I dump mine every other day. If I let it go a week or more, it does start to smell, but it's still nothing like my other litter boxes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We generally empty out the container every time they use it and keep the litter as clean as possible. I'm chalking it up to Arm&Hammer litter being crappy, as of last night we've started trying out "World's Best" and its made a lot of difference, I also put up one of those "privacy tents" in hopes that might help dull the smell as well. So far so good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Actaeon said:
We generally empty out the container every time they use it and keep the litter as clean as possible. I'm chalking it up to Arm&Hammer litter being crappy, as of last night we've started trying out "World's Best" and its made a lot of difference, I also put up one of those "privacy tents" in hopes that might help dull the smell as well. So far so good.
I agree with you there. I've tried Arm and hammer before-and both me and my cats hated it!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have 2 littermaids and 4 cats. I wish I had a better product. When these die, I may look into the litter robot instead. Mine do get clogged a lot and get stuck--I think when Whirling Dervish (aka Xander) gets in there and starts spinning, he piles all the litter in one place, which causes the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a littermaid LM600. I heard these are the revised version of the LM500 sporting a quieter motor. I love my littermaid as it saves me tons of work and it seems to work fairly efficiently. The rakes however are a little too wide apart so small feces would not be picked up by these and I usually use a littler scoop to filter out the small pieces everyday and dump it in the poopoo compartment. The littermaid doesn't smell at all unless u open the poopoo compartment. BTW, I use the costco litter jar with blue crystals and it seems to work well. Sometimes, things get stuck to the rake. My advice would be applying a type of solution called "release agent" on the rakes which you can buy from any art store. It is essentially an ultra slippery wax.

Btw, kristi, what is the litter robot you are talking about?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If I had an unlimited budget I'd get a Litter Robot... it seems to be the best. Unfortunately, I'm not so lucky! :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts