Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My teen kitten Lilith has this little patch on the top of her outer ear. She hasn't been itching it that I've seen, I've been able to touch it without her acting like it hurt or anything but I don't know what it is. It looks like a white ring of dryish skin with her normal black hair in the middle. It is very slightly raised but mostly flat. It looks like a flake of skin except her hair is in the middle of it. Anyone know what it might be? I would get a picture but my phone camera's quality is awful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like it might be ringworm? I'm not really sure what ringworm looks like in cats, but in people, it looks like, well, a ring. Just in case, you might want to wash your hands after you touch it, because you *can* catch it from them.
I'd take Lilith to the vet as soon as possible- not because ringworm is super dangerous, but it's annoying and takes a while to get rid of. (At least in people- my cats have never had it, but I have. Bleh.) I'm sure the vet will have a treatment.
(NB- not an expert! if more knowledgeable people chime in and think I'm wrong, listen to them!)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
From what you've described, I would check whether it is ringworm first. Is Lilith a recent adoptee? If so, shelter kittens are kind of notorious for having things like ringworm when you first bring them home (the shelter I adopted from even made me sign a waiver about it!) If by some chance you happen to have a black-light, many, but not all, types of ringworm will glow a greenish color under a black-light.

If your vet says it isn't ringworm, it will probably be some kind of skin allergy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is not from a shelter, I got her and her brother from a mother cat of my friend's. They've had no health issues so far.

I think it might be ringworm but looking at pictures of ringworm it doesn't look like that at all... hmm. It may be a skin allergy like you said... but I haven't seen her scratch it at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts