Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my Internet acting up, I couldn't post any pictures of my cats last night and thought I could present them here instead. :)

Gazelle was my birthday gift from my mom way back when I was teenager (seems like a long time ago right now). She's grouchy (but what can you expect from a calico, even a diluted one? :p), but loves to cuddle when the mood takes her. She hates other cats and doesn't hesitate to tell them when they enter her personal space... She loves the top of the cat tree and catnip and hates carriers and cars (so I'm really happy she's healthy and doesn't need to go to the vet very often).

Zia was found outside about 2 years ago by a woman who brought her to the shelter where I was volunteering. She was a tiny little thing at barely 4 pounds (on an adult cat) and with a URI so bad, she was breathing with her mouth opened... She also tested positive for FIV and was going to be euthanized due to that (we have a room for FIV+ cats, but it's always full...). After two years (and a CT scan, rhinoscopy, heart ultrasound, complete dental and more), she is doing great and even loves her aerokat chamber. She always knows when I feel down and never leaves my side when I'm home. She's also the kind of cat that will climb over everyone at the hospital hoping someone will cave in and pet her.

Merlin, another FIV+, was at the shelter for a year. He was getting VERY fat and I agreed to foster him to make him lose some weight... His very friendly personality made sure he would never go back. He loves everyone: humans, cats, dogs. And he talks a lot. He also has multiple health issue that we are investigating right now and he has me worried, but we'll get through it :) At least, he gets a lot of love from everyone at the hospital since he lives to get attention. We even "used" him to motivate a partially paralyzed dog to move around. He would make a good therapy cat if I had the time for that.

Esteban was found by one of my classmates in late August when she came back from vacation. She found him outside and looked for his owner. She found her and was told he was too much of a bother (this is also the same woman who has had the police called to her house 4 times because she lets her toddler in diaper outside without supervision and he wanders in the street...). My classmate had a litter of very young kittens and didn't want to take him with an unknown disease history so I agree to foster him while we looked for a permanent home. He ended having really bad diarrhea and vomiting that didn't respond to basic treatment... An ultrasound showed either severe IBD or early intestinal lymphoma. We are still working out a treatment regimen that works for him, but due to the uncertain prognosis and involved treatment, I do not feel right to give him to someone else. He is very friendly and quite funny so it's not exactly a hardship, just not included in my budget. It's my first time having a long haired cat, so I have to force myself to keep up with the grooming.

·
Registered
348 Posts
One word: WOW!

Lots more words: You are so awesome and a model cat-caregiver-citizen! Your fur-family is gorgeous and clearly quite grateful for you. Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank every one. They are gorgeous and they give so much more than they cost :)

I have to say that my teachers (and the residents) have been VERY accommodating when it comes to charging me for the work-up needed and they are a great help. It would have been a lot harder without them.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That last one is Mr. Jinx! (Meet the parents). hehe. too cute!!

I always sleep with my foot touching my forehead... dont you :p

·
Registered
438 Posts
Awwe, oh my goodness those kitties are so lucky to have you! They're all absolutely beautiful! Having someone there that loves them and takes care of them has got to mean so very much to them. That much love makes so much of a difference. :]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts