Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one point my cat weighed 28 pounds. He started vomitting somewhat and losing weight. After going thru this for 8 days I went to the vet. He weighd 12.5 lbs. The vet said he had liver disease. He came home with a drid in him for fluids and I feed him baby food with a syringe. This lasted 7 days and he passed. At this point I would like to know what causes this in cats? And if you ever experience this with your animal please put it down. It is a very painful death.

Kay

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Wow, I am so sorry. What an awful thing to have to go through. There are a number of things that can cause liver disease in cats. Try to take comfort in that you did everything possible for him. You obviously loved him very much. There are some cats with liver disease that can recover, even if they are in bad shape, I'm guessing that is why your vet didn't suggest putting him to sleep. Unfortunately, there are others like your kitty, that do not recover......and it is awful. I am so sorry, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Catcatcher:
I'm very sorry for your loss. I too recently had a pet with liver disease. She had cancer (in her front leg) and it quickly took it's toll on her body.
Between the cancer and her high steroid dosages, she developed liver disease which ultimately was what caused us to have to put her down. It's possible that your cat may have had something else going on that went undetected for quite some time.

Our dog was vomiting excessively and went from being a 105lb Rottweiler to 78lbs the day we had to say goodbye. It was QUICK and DRASTIC change and I know how painful it must have been for you to go through. She gave us a look one afternoon almost like she was telling us it was okay to let her go. We brought her in the next morning. You're right, it's no way to live and as hard as it was, we did feel that we needed to put her out of this state. Again, I'm sorry for your loss and although your kitty is no longer with you, he is now in a better place.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
If your vet was talking about "Fatty Liver Disease", then it is caused by rapid weight loss in obese cats. Did this cat lose a huge amount of weight before you went to the vet? Something else may have been causing the weight loss and since that something wasn't treated, your kitty wound up with fatty liver disease.

I'm really sorry about the loss of your cat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. Yes my cat lost all of his weight in 7 to 10 days. He eatting much at all. He was a very health cat until this. As my vet said it was nothing I could have prevented.
Yes I did everything for him but you are right he will not suffer anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Yes my cat lost all of his weight in 7 to 10 days. He wasn't eatting much at all. He was a very health cat until this. As my vet said it was nothing I could have prevented.
Yes I did everything for him but you are right he will not suffer anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts