Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My senior cat, Andy, was a bit yellow on Monday. The vet said his liver was small and blood work showed very off liver levels. Andy stayed for 2 days of IV hydration to flush his system and run blood again. It looked worse than before. They sent Andy home with a poor prognosis (cancer, cirrhosis?) but planned a recheck this coming Monday.

He ate a bit when he got home and he was lovey but lethargic. He was very stressed from the vet so I figured he was more exhausted than anything. Today he won’t purr, won’t eat and just wants to be left alone.

Andy was basically a feral stray when I found him. He’s lived as a feral housecat - very skittish, terrified of everyone but me, scared of anything outside his norm.

Do I leave him here where he’s comfortable and feels safe until our schedule appointment on Monday? Do I take him to the emergency vet to put him down (I only hesitate because there is a considerable wait where he’ll be scared/miserable in a kennel for hours)?

Does liver failure take them this quickly?

I understand he won’t get better, I’m only trying to do what is best for him and let him go in the most comfortable way.

Thank you for all suggestions ❤

·
Registered
981 Posts
Liver failure can take a cat down very fast and that's what this sounds like.

If you have an appointment tomorrow I would wait for that rather than subjecting him to the stress of the emergency vet. I wouldn't let it go longer than that, though.

And you might even ask if the vet will come out to your car to do it. Mine does, and it is a lot less stressful for the cat than being in the vet office, if they will do it. Just a thought.

I am so sorry for your impending loss and wish your cat a very peaceful transition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t think anyone can advise you on what the best decision is, but if you have to opt for euthanasia, please find strength that it is a kind way to go and it’s absolutely painless. I’m sure your kitty knows you are doing what’s best for him. At the same time, I’m sure you want to keep going, perhaps there’s a way for him to get past this.
Wishing you and your kitty all the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts