Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She wont eat liver! Shes fine with bones, skin, heart etc, but she wont touch the liver. I started off with the other stuff cut up in small pieces in her favorite wet food, and it worked well each time after a few days, but not the liver. Ive picked out most of the liver so theres only a few very small thin scraps but she still wont touch any of the food and hasnt eaten all day. How important is liver? What to do?

·
Banned
119 Posts
Try putting it in with her favourite food. Or if she likes chewing on wings, cut small pieces and stuff it INSIDE the wing. Anything to "trick" her to eat it so that at least she'll try~

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried all that, sadly...Ive seen that she doesnt need to see it, she can smell the liver a mile off.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Have you tried cooking it at first? Then slowly leave it raw-er and less cooked.

Parmesan cheese might disguise the smell, or tuna juice!

Our cats love dehydrated liver treats.. maybe you could try those too?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Yes -- just sear the outside, let cool, and feed. Gradually you'll have to do this less and less and then not at all. Liver is ESSENTIAL, so you do need to get her eating it. If she really won't, one option is freeze-dried liver treats (containing NOTHING but liver--no other ingredients). But that's not as good as plain old raw liver, so don't give up yet!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem with my girl... she hates liver. She wouldn't even try it for the past two days - today she finally did, ate a couple pieces (I had to dice them up in order for her to even give them the time of day) and that was it. She didn't touch it again after that, and even seemed depressed after eating it.

I have no idea what to do! I tried sprinkling cat nip, dousing it in her favourite canned food gravy and mixing it with chicken (her favourite). All she did was lick up the gravy and gobble down the chicken, leaving the liver untouched. I'm getting desperate here cause she needs to start on the liver - she's fine with everything else.

I'm going to be shopping around reptile pet shops looking for frozen whole prey because that may be the only option right now! Let's hope she takes to that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm feeling just about hopeless right now when it comes to liver. We've tried beef liver, chicken liver and duck liver. All of them were failures. We've tried searing it, cooking it, freezing it, thawing it, topping it with cat nip, burying a treat inside of it.... she will not eat it (when it comes to beef liver I had to hide it inside of the beef pieces and when I did that she threw it up). I can't mix it with canned as she vomits that. Just so worried right now because I don't want her getting sick! We're going to try giving her mice when we get back as we've found a supplier. This might be the only way to get her her supply of liver. :( I will look for those liver treats in the meantime.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I've got a weird idea that might be worth trying. If you've got non-carpeted floors that are easy to clean, try making a toy out of a piece of liver (cooked or raw). Tie a piece of kitchen twine around a small piece of liver and maybe a feather or two, and drag and bounce it around the floor. With any luck, it'll tap into your cat's prey drive, and you'll have her chasing it around trying to "kill" it. You never know. It might be enough to get her connecting liver to something edible. At worst, you'll have to mop your floor after each play session.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It came to the point where I have to "grind" it with a blender (grind a piece if meat with it). I'm hoping I can slowly increase the size of the liver as I'm concerned about nutrient loss in the blending.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts