Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my local cat clinic take in a lot of abandoned/stray kittens and then "sell" them when they are about 7 weeks old to anybody who wanders into the clinic. They go for $60 but have obviously had no altering, shots etc so the buyer then has to go back to the clinic and pay for all the shots and altering etc as time goes on. A friend of mine says that the clinic is just money-mad and don't care about cats. When you go in there to get a kitten they don't even ask you any questions about what sort of home you have, whether you are even allowed pets, whether you have any other pets etc etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hmmm... that's rather dissapointing coming from a "cat clinic". One would get better advice and info from a pet shop. :?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's...well, stupid. Stupid for the "cat clinic" for not being more concerened about where the cats are going and stupid for the people paying so much for the cats who haven't had shots, tests, or come with a low-cost spay/neuter certificate. :roll:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
That is very dissapointing. One would think they would at least be altered and have their shots. Who is to say the people who buy these kittens will have them spay and neutered? If they don't, chances are more stray/abandoned kittens. :(

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well, I think it's a shame that they don't put some effort into finding out who the kittens are going home with, but my guess is most people who go in there are clients, so they know them.
As for the money. I've got no issue with that. Don't we always say "free to a good home" is a really bad thing to do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is totally appalling and very disheartening 8O . I really would consider turning them into a animal welfare organization. I am quit baffled by this, I do not get it. How could a "reputable" vet clinic which is supposedly there to help and prevent cruelty and unethical practices do such an unethical thing (?) :evil: . It is a real concerning situation to me, I am very very disturbed to hear such a thing.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
That is awful charging that much money for a kitten/cat without an vaccinations or neutering! We charge donations for rehoming animals, but the money goes into our stray fund to pay for other strays, NOT into my boss' pocket...and our strays are all neutered/vaccinated, and the adoptee signs an agreement stating they will get it done if the animal is unable to be done before leaving i.e too young.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BoscosMum said:
Are you absolutely certain that they do not have their shots???
yes. my friend bought one and they made appointments for her to take him back for his shots and later for alterin - all at her own expense. It did seem like a way for them to make a buck. When she took him elsewhere - somewhere cheaper - for his shots, the clinic bombarded her with letters/postcards asking her to come in for the shots.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
2mainecoons said:
BoscosMum said:
yes. my friend bought one and they made appointments for her to take him back for his shots and later for alterin - all at her own expense. It did seem like a way for them to make a buck. When she took him elsewhere - somewhere cheaper - for his shots, the clinic bombarded her with letters/postcards asking her to come in for the shots.
The first round of Distemper shots with kittens is a series of 3 shots.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BoscosMum said:
2mainecoons said:
BoscosMum said:
The first round of Distemper shots with kittens is a series of 3 shots.
I know. What made you post that?

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I believe she meant that the series of shots had to be done over a period of weeks, so the kittens probably had only the first round. So, the new owner would have to take them back for two more rounds. :) The kittens are quite young, and wouldn't have had time to get all three in the series.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeanie said:
I believe she meant that the series of shots had to be done over a period of weeks, so the kittens probably had only the first round. So, the new owner would have to take them back for two more rounds. :) The kittens are quite young, and wouldn't have had time to get all three in the series.
Thanks. What makes me suspicious about this place is that they quoted my pal over $100 for the shots in addition to teh $60 she paid just for the kitten and hten the altering would be yet more expense. These kittens are basically strays that this clinic gets from who knows where and I don't really get why they are charging 60 bucks for them.

I prefer the way the shelters work where you might pay $100 for your kitten and he/she comes with all shots etc and if too young to have been altered, the shelter will alter him or her for free once they are old enough. That's more like it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
2mainecoons...

I am just having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that this would happen at any clinic, anywhere....
I would call and complain...
I understand the point of view that they want to ensure good homes.
But this is a little overboard and extreme on their part... :?

Baffled in Wiscinson! :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts