Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work today, I stopped into PetSmart to see if they had any samples of food (We are having food trouble with Tierney, but is a different story) And when i get there i find out our local Humian Society is there having an "adopt-a-thon".. Of course I have to go over and look, I can't just walk right past it. And there she was... The most wonderful grey kitten, although it turns out she isnt' a kitten at all, she is at least 2 years old, she is just really tiny... She was brought in with 2 kittens they assume were hers, the kittens got adopted in minutes they said, but poor mom "Lola" is still there. She is soooo skinny, I just want to take her home and feed her and love her. She was VERY loving and just clung to me when i held her. I want her so much!!!!! They said she is really timid and scared and needs someone who has alot of time and love to give, but she had been tested for all diseases and she is fine, just so skinny! :( .... I feel bad for her, and of course my BF says no :( big meanie!! I just want to see her have a good loving home. I wish I could take her :(

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no kidding.. i don't know if it's a good thing or a bad one.. he does keep me from becoming a carzy cat lady! But all the poor babies who need homes :(

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HE SAID I COULD GET HER!!!!!! I can't wait.. going first thing in the morning! the doors open at 10 am!

I will be there at 9:55!!!

How do i go about intoducing her to Tierney?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
of course!! i plan on bringing the camera to the shelter tomorrow morning.. i just hope she can come home tomorrow too..

We don't know if we will keep her name or not.. we are debating.. I can't wait to show you guys pics!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
You and your boyfriend are such good people for taking Lola in - yeah, I might change the name too. Nothing wrong with Lola, just give her something new for her wonderful new life with you. She sounds like a sweetie - and it was love at first site...awww

It's so sad how the momma cats (and adult cats in general) are so often overlooked. Can't WAIT to see pictures!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am so ticked off right now.. I went the the shelter this morning, and it is GROSS!!!! It's horrible, i don't know how anyone can let animals live in these conditions.... there are just animals running EVERYWHERE, all kinds too, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, goats, bunnies, ect. There is no one in these buildings, it looks like an old trailer park, that someone turned into a kennel/humane society that doesn't seem humane at all. The animals are free to whatever they want. I was told what "building" to go into and left to go see these animals all by myself, no supervision or anything. I feel so bad, and they said i couldn't take her. :( I am not so sure why and am working to find out. They said they wanted to do a physical inspection of my house, which I said sure too, but I don't get why... She has been there since August, you would think they would want to get her into a good home. Part of me just wants to take her home, and another part of me is afraid to take an animal from that enviroment. What do i do... Here are some of her pictures... Look how skinny she is.. and they say she is perfectly healthy, I have a really hard time beliveing that.... I think I am off to find numbers to call about animal cruelty.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
k, just got off the phone with Animal Control, and they know the place needs to be shut down and havn't done it!!! I dont' know what to do, then the place called back to tell me that i was turned down anyway, because the office at the apartment complex i live in told them i never paid a pet deposit! And i told them how gross there selter was, so this poor baby still has no home. If anyone is around the Daytona Beach area, please let me shut this place down, and find homes for these animals. It is so terrible.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That is awful! how dare they refuse letting that cat go to a good home because of that? Thats a stupid reason imo, apartment complexes extort pet owners in my belief, they charge you a pet fee of hundreds of dollars then pet rent THEN they charge you even more if theres damage to the apartment after you move out because of the pet. Why its not illegal and why they cant just charge you when you move out I have no idea. If I were you i'd go down there and have a serious 'come to jesus' meeting with those people, THEY are being cruel and they refuse YOU?!

edit: sorry im so vehement but its obvious from the state of that cats health they are part of the problem not the solution, it gets me VERY angry when I see 'animal welfare' places that treat the animals just as bad as the people that they take the animals from because of abuse, GRRRRRRR

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh she is SO sweet..... poor baby.... she needs you. :( Is there any way you could talk to your apartment people? I wish I lived remotely close to Florida.... I have NO room in my little 450 sq. ft. apartment, but I don't think I could resist. Good luck... and please dont' feel too bad if it doesn't work out.... if it's meant to be, it will happen. But maybe try talking to your apartment complex if possible....?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, i called the office, and somone pulled the wrong file, so the office manager said she would call the place, but i already told them off, so i don't think they are going to give her to me anyway. I just feel so awful for her, and the rest of the animals there. I am waiting on another call back from animal control about a complaint againt this "humane" society

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just re-looked at these pictures, and i look this one of the info on her cage.... she has been there since 8/02!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but they wouldn't give her to me...

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
That's really upsetting! I'd be tempted to have a friend go down and apply for her. I am really adamant about honesty, but that shelter is not humane! It's sneaky, and it's not the kind of thing I would normally even think of, but I used to assume that a shelter would take exceptional care of its animals!--especially the humane society. That cat would be so much better off with you. I wouldn't want to be a bad influence on you, but I'm upset about this at the moment!

When I bought my collies and my Siamese cats, the breeders came to my home to see if there was room for the collie to run, and to make sure everyone here was an animal lover. When I became a breeder, I found myself investigating people as if I were the FBI! :D So, that's understandable, but they obviously don't care about the conditions those animals are in! I have one fat cat and one thin one, so I don't think they've let her go hungry...but she might have worms. If you can arrange to get her somehow, that's the first thing I'd check on.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
They might not give her to you, but then again, they might. If they haven't done so already, have your apartment complex call the shelter back and see what they do. If you don't hear back by tomorrow, call the shelter yourself and ask if the situation has been resolved. Please don't give up on her. :(

1 - 20 of 65 Posts