Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my new kitty home three weeks ago and all was going well until this week. My husband was off for two weeks, so he was able to stay with her all day. Now that he isn't, kitty is all alone during the day and I can tell she's lonely when I get home. Not her same self. She acts likes a real baby. She even cried twice last night for no reason (and she never meows). I know this isn't abnormal behavior, but I'm wondering: How long do you think it will take her to settle in to this new routine? :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually, it is normal behavior. Did you know Switzerland makes it illegal to own just one cat? The reasoning behind this is that animals need the contact of others of their own kind to be happy and healthy. I agree with this reasoning. It's not uncommon at all to have a kitty who is by herself become lonely. For this reason, I always recommend that a person own at least one cat. Having more than one cat encourages healthy bodies and behavior. It's shown that cats who live with other cats have fewer behavioral disorders due to anxiety, since they always have a companion to keep them company. They show fewer problems with aggression and shyness. They don't scratch, etc., out of boredom as often. And cats who live with other cats tend to stay in better physical condition, as they play together and keep active. Mentally, it's better for them, too. It's actually proven that solitary cats' brains may weigh LESS than cats who live with other cats for lack of mental stimulation!

You should talk to your vet about her behavior, though, because it's possible a physical ailment may be causing her behavior.

If it's just not feasible for you to add a companion for your little one, make sure she has plenty of toys to keep her entertained. I'd even suggest buying a video for her to watch on TV while you're gone. See www.videocatnip.com and www.kittyshow.com .

Your cat may settle into being an only cat, but it's not unusual to take several weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I do keep the radio on for her and unfortunately, I have no room for a second litterbox, so a second cat isn't really feasible (although, trust me, I would love another one!)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
cah2 said:
I have no room for a second litterbox, so a second cat isn't really feasible (although, trust me, I would love another one!)
I have two kitties and they both use ONE litter box. If that is really your only concern you should consider adopting another kitty like you say you'd love to :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's "ideal" to have a two litterboxes for multiple cats...however as long as you are willing to do a bit more cleaning than normal, get another furrey friend...it's worth the "work". :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for the advice. it really concerns me about having only one litterbox for two cats. from what i understand, cats are very fickle about their litterboxes and don't like sharing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so here's a question: Let's say I get another kitten. You don't think my first kitten (Pastina) will be upset when suddenly there's one sharing her littlebox?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Your story will be a success if you introduce the two kitties properly.
I didn't have any problems with the litter box when I first introduced Cheerio to Frosty. It is quiete large and I clean it regularly.
Frosty did hiss a little bit in the beginning when I brought Cheerio in. But after making them both smell alike I didn't have any more trouble. Some people would chose to wash both kitties and rub the back of their necks with a few drops of vanilla. I had to wash Cheerio since she was coming from outside but Frosty is a clean kitty so I only rubbed the vanilla in for him. It works wonders and they smell so good you could eat them up! So have some vanilla ready for both of your kitties :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats share a big mega littermaid and I think Ioana is right, with the right introduction you can have 2 kittens that like each other and can share the same box. I think if I only got one cat, they would be very lonely.... :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts