Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I'm new here and am looking for guidance and advice. My husband has accepted a job 500 miles from our current home and we are preparing to move. I am deeply concerned about how the move is going to affect my beloved kitties. I have five, all over the age of ten years and I love them terribly and would like your suggestions on how to make this move as smooth and painless as possible. Their welfare is my biggest concern in this undertaking and I want to do what is best for them.

Thank you in advance.

Poody Pie

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hi there,

I was also thinking of posting about this topic since I plan to move to Seattle from Memphis with my two cats sometime in the next year. I am not so much concerned about when I get there, as this article talks about, but the actual *move*, i.e. how to get my cats so far a distance in the least stressful way. Is it better to fly them? Drive? How do you handle the trip? I have a serious issue with letting the welfare of my cats go into other people's hands at the airport, but I have no idea how to make the car trip as painless as possible. It will be at least three days in the car.

Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tanyuh,

I feel your pain, those are the questions I'm asking too and I don't think people realize it. Although our trip will be just one day, I'm very concerned about how they'll handle even that. I've considered flying them (a one hour trip), however, I think that the noise and cold or heat in the cargo hold, not to mention the handling of their cages, would just terrify them so we're leaning towards driving them. Just two years ago we moved them 30 miles and they made it fine, no problems. But that's a far cry from 500 miles.

If it helps, I've come across these suggestions so far......place kitties in a carrier. If they get along well and comfort one another then place them in the same carrier. I read that it is a good idea to get some of that compressed paper litter to line the carrier because it absorbs wetness instead of using blankets which will remain wet and irritating to the kitties. Give them a small water dish. You can choose whether to give them a small food dish or stop to feed them along the way. Also, place a piece of clothing you've worn in with them, it is a comfort to them and reminds them you are with them and protecting them. Never leave them in the car alone and put shades on the windows to cool them and hide the sight of things speeding by, which scares them. When you get to the new house, place them in a room with their water, food, litter box, toys and sleeping materials. Keep them there a day or two then gradually let them check the house out. Oh, and make absolutely sure they are collared and tagged with their name, your name and your cell phone number.

Really, what I'm looking for is some reassurance from someone who has done this already and what their experience was. I hope someone will be able to respond.

I wish you the best of luck with your move and your loved kitties. They are lucky to have you.

Thanks,
Poody Pie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts