Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm surprised that I sent a topic here.. and had to go out, when I came back ... its deleted ??

I have persian cat... its hair is massed
how can I condition and brush it ?? is there special conditioner or something ?
I can't cut it again because it will take time to come again

Regards

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If it's badly matted, it will need to be shaved. Generally this is best done by a professional groomer or your vet's office. Do not bathe a matted cat, the mats will just get worse.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
drjean said:
Do not bathe a matted cat, the mats will just get worse
Yes indeed. One time I bathed Twinkie and he is a short medium haired and his hair got so tangly. The only way was to shave it or cut it. If it is matted badly its nearly impossible to untangle it. <<))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all :)

I'll try to cut the matted hair today...

But after cutting the matted hair, can I bath him ?

Regard,

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
DO NOT CUT MATS OUT YOURSELF, especially with scissors (it won't work, anyway). It is extremely difficult to tell where the mat ends and the skin begins. The slightest nick in the skin will leave a gaping wound, and then you will have an *emergency* vet bill instead of a few bucks for a clip. Please, let a professional do it!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank Dr Jean for the caution :)
I was going to do it myself.
I went o professional and its done
I bought a good brush too (recommended by my cat vet) :)
now can I bath him ?

Thanks and regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
I break it up with my fingers. Or you can take a brush and pull out a few hair at a time until you can painlessly pull the mat out. I love dematting

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, NOW you can bathe him! :)

For long-haired cats I like those combs with the revolving teeth. Brushes don't really get all the way down to pull out the dead hair; and if a tiny mat starts, a brush will just glide over it. A metal comb will do a better job, then brushing can be more of a treat!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts