Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so you are probably thinking...why the heck do I have 2 syrians together, they are going to fight! :D Nope, not my boys.

I got my two boys, Nimai(the runt) & Bala when they were 4 weeks old from a really nice breeder. I was going to get one, but since I had such a huge cage(40 gallon tank with 2 levels), we decided to try 2 hamsters. If they fought, we would give them each their own space.

Well, they turned 1 year old on August 20th, and they still sleep in the same bed with each other...can you believe that!

Abhay

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
So what's your secret? How do you keep the cats from dining on them? I gave up my gerbil a few months after I got Punky.. there were just too many close calls.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Padunk said:
So what's your secret? How do you keep the cats from dining on them? I gave up my gerbil a few months after I got Punky.. there were just too many close calls.
:lol: I used to keep a hamster for my God-daughter (and a betta) - after I got Jinx, they had to go (they went home with her). I do have a gecko (a rescue, of sorts) he stays up on top of some furntiture there is no way for the cats to scale. - Although Jinx has definite plans to get that sucker - someday. :lol:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I had Billy on a shelf about 6 feet off the ground with absolutely no way for Punky to get up there. (She's not much of a jumper...) I thought there was no way she could get to him.

It worked fine for a month or so, then one day I came home from work and the aquarium was shattered on the ground. I figured she must've got him, so I put her in the bathroom and started looking around. I couldn't find his remains anywhere so I started cleaning up the mess. All of a sudden the gerbil scurries past my foot... in all of the commotion he must've gotten away and found a safe spot. :lol:

After that, I knew it was time to rehome the poor guy. Jessica's younger brother took him in.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehehe, actually the hamster can have the cats right up in their face and nothing happens. They have been around cats since they were born(the breeder had 2 cats) and so they are totally used to it. Most of the cats here will sniff them and walk away...my good 'ol hunters :roll:

I do have a couple cats that will try and wack them, but the hamster don't care :D Once day, I was cleaning their cage and I left the top open, and my kitty Shyama jumped in the cage. He was standing in the tank just looking at them, and the hamster are running through his legs and everything :?

Now birds are another story 8O

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
And the syrians have never fought? is it something youve done? I cant believe they get on like that after a year! its amazing! Ive seen syrians try to kill each other when both tank doors were open and one decided to try exploring his neighbour.

Im quite amazed that they have stayed together lol

How are they for handling since they are kept together? From working in a petshop and only handling babies ive had some bad experinces. They look very happy together.
Do they ever have scraps?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never ever in their life have they fought :D They even sleep together! They love to be handled and are very mellow guys. They aren't the kind of hamsters that just won't stay still :lol: When my hamster vet first saw them(hey, hamsters need annual vet exams too :wink: ), he turned them on their back and was very surprised at how calm they were. Normally hamsters bite him when he does that 8O

I go to Trader Joe's and buy organic nut mixes and stuff like that(all w/out sulfur dioxide) and that is their "staple food." They also get fresh food every night along with either sunflower seeds/alfalfa/ or shelled almonds.

It is so funny because their mom looked was just a carmel & white color short hair, and their dad was a pure black long hair. They have some weird hair...some parts are really long, some are short, some are medium :roll:

Abhay

·
Registered
821 Posts
They are really cute! I always had gerbils because they seemed more social to me, however the one hamster I had was SOOOOOO sweet....I guess that's why I named her Sugar!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
No, Syrian hamsters are solitary. They've been known to kill any other hamsters living with them (obviously, Spittles' hammies have defied that natural law ;))

They're so cuuuute! I have a lil' long-haired Syrian, Napster, who I rescued this summer. Poor thing :( He's doing better now, becoming more social. I'll try to get some pics later...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually Syrians(the ones I have) are not supposed to live together because they are territorial and will fight until death. But my boys have never fought...I think one reason is because they have such a huge cage! Dwarf hamster can live together though :D But personally, I perfer the big ones because those dwarf are just way to hyper!!!

Abhay

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
They are sooo cute. I need to post picks of Voyager, my hamster. (Well, he is the church's hamster but he is staying here right now). :D

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Okay, here's my little guy, Napster:

Napster's story is basically this...he was owned by my 11-year old cousin, and was horribly traumatized (they have a similarly traumatized cat that they don't like anymore because of his temperment, but they're keeping him...:roll:). When my cousin "didn't want" PeeWee anymore (less than a year after getting him), my aunt was just going to pass him off to one of my cousin's friends :evil: Poor little PeeWee was about as traumatized as he could be; I'm not sure what my cousin did to him, but I did hear casually mentioned that PeeWee was really small when he got wet 8O. So I wasted no time taking PeeWee and his abysmal little aquarium home. My very first hamster, and a rescue to boot...

The first week or so was strictly isolation, hands off. He hadn't had his own personal space most of his life, so I wanted him to be able to reclaim that. Then I slowly started reacclimating him to people. At first, he'd flinch if you so much as spoke, and touching had to be reserved for dire need. I didn't get a good look at his teeth, or have a chance to check him over, until a month after I brought him home. And even then he was shaking :(

Now, five months later, he actually comes out of his nest when he hears my voice :) He doesn't mind being held, though he'll still flinch dramatically and lie flat if your hand startles him. The brushing thing I've only just been able to do, as he would've probably had a heart attack had I tried earlier. In fact, I was brushing Napster the other day, just going over him with a soft toothbrush. Apparently I was pulling a little too hard, because he very gently placed his teeth around my finger and sqeezed. Not even enough to break the skin, but enough to let me know I should stop. He's such a sweet little baby! :D Certainly a learning experience, but he's so cute and sweet it's worthwhile...

Here's his cute lil' hamster tushie
:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts