Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Girlfriends sister had to move out of her house today but hasnt found another home yet (landlord being a pain) so has gone to live with her mum who has a dog, But she has an 12 week old kitten.

My gf said we would look after it but we have 2 cats already. Brought the kitten home and straight away out male cat Giggsy started spitting at it and hissing, then also our female cat Button did (they are brother & sister). They both stayed upstairs and didnt come down for ages, they both seem really unsettled and jumpy and cannot seem to relax. They have also been fighting with each other and tried to attack the kitten

We are not sure how long we will have to look after the Kitten so we rang her Sister and said that we dont think it will work. We are scared for the little kittens saftey and we and our cats cannot relax.

I know introductions take a long time but this isnt and wont be our cat so i think its wrong to put the Kitten in danger and also unsettle are cats for so 1 or 2 weeks.

There is another person who could look after it but if not then i dont know whats going to happen to it and i feel guilty. Im already getting attached to it so if i had it for 2 weeks i would want it for keeps.

Do you think me and my gf should give it a few more days or am i right

Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well, of course things are going to go poorly when you just plop a strange kitten in amongst your current cats! ;)

Cats need to have an introduction period when you're introducing a new cat to them. Sometimes introductions only need a few days before the cats are OK around each other, but sometimes it can take months. Since this is a temporary situation, I'd consider keeping this kitten apart from your cats for the whole 2 weeks. Do you have a spare room or spare bathroom that you can keep this kitten in? Maybe the kitten can stay in your bedroom? That way the kitten won't disrupt your household.

If you want to try introducing them, check out this link:
Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
With a 12wk old kitten, it is perfectly fine to keep them confined to a bedroom or bathroom by itself. Throwing cats who don't know each other together is NEVER a good idea. As long as you make sure the bathroom/bedroom is safe for the kitten (toilet seat closed, no strings to get tangled in, etc) It shouldn't be a problem for a week or two.

I would NOT try introductions. Especially if it is only for a week or two, or even up to a month.

Even if you did try introductions, I would keep the kitten away from the older cats when you weren't there to supervise.

You can try finding someplace else for the kitten to stay if you think your place is too small to have the kitten in one area and the other cats in the rest of the house but for now just keep the kitten in a bathroom.

I was able to do introductions in a <600sqft studio between two adult cats by keeping Leo in the bathroom and then setting up a kitty condo in the main room once they got used to playing with each other under the door.

Some hissing and spitting is normal, even with a door between them. But it should calm down within a day or two as long as the older cats don't see the kitten.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I agree with the other posters. If this is just a temporary situation, keep the kitten confined to a separate room and don't bother with an introduction. Even if you are planning to introduce them (i.e., if the situation becomes more permanent), you will need to separate the kitten for about the first week in any event. The link posted by paperbacknovel will help in that regard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry i didnt say but we didnt just put the cats in the same room, we had the kitten in a carrier and our cats came down and started attacking the carrier.

We kept the kitten downstairs with us all day and they let it sleep in our bedroom last night. There both in seperate room today with our cats having most of the house.

The only worry for me at the moment is that our cats are not getting on too well since it came

·
Registered
601 Posts
Even being in the carrier, the kitten would naturally be upsetting to your cats. They can still see her and smell her and hear her when she's in the carrier in the same room as they are.

The kitten will be OK if you keep it in a bathroom by itself for the entire 2 weeks. It's even better if it's a master bath and you can keep two doors closed between your cats and the kitten. Just make sure it always has food, fresh water, and a clean litter box, and make sure you "kitten-proof" your bathroom ahead of time. Spend some time with it, playing and such. There's no need for the kitten to go downstairs with you during the day, which upsets your cats more. It would be worse for the kitten to send it to yet another home--the stress of continually moving it to a new environment causes kitty immune systems to run down, making them more susceptible to colds and such. Your own cats will be absolutely OK for the next week and a half, as long as the kitten is always kept in the bathroom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news they have found a house and are moving n tomorrow. They came to pick the kitten up before and it was going to another house but we kept it for tonight as i wanted to play with it abit more :p and felt sorry for it going to another home.

If it was our Kitten we would of done it slower but we needed to see if they would get on straight away but it doesnt matter now, although today they havent been that bad so if we had it for another few days i think it would of been ok...

Its had a great time with us playing with all our cats toys, i will be sad to see it go i think even though it calwed my lip before and made me bleed :smile:

Thanks for all replys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts