Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my four cats never made it through the beginning stages of transitioning to raw. He'd refuse to eat if his wet food contained the slightest bit of ground raw meat, so I pretty much gave up and just fed him canned. After a while he started refusing his wet food also. He would lick it a few times and then walk away. He started to lose weight and would barely touch his food no matter what brands or flavors we tried. We decided to add dry back in and that did the trick! Now he's a food fiend. We currently have him on Merrick BG chicken dry, just about a tablespoon mixed in with every wet meal. I know BG isn't a bad food, but I'm sure there are better. Orijen adult is a definite contender but it is pretty expensive, and I have several other mouths to feed. Perhaps Acana Grasslands? I just want something that's grain free but still far more animal protein that potato and/or pea. Oh, and nothing fish based. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When I was feeding dry, I started with EVO, but my cat's could not digest it. They were on it for about 3-4 months and I smelled them throughout the entire house whenever they defecated...it was gross! I then switched to Wellness CORE, which they liked and all, but I have issues with the manufacturing so I took them off that and then finally switched to Orijen, which they did well on, but yes, it is expensive. I compared it to the BG and frankly, it's not that far off ingredients wise. If money is a concern, I would feed the BG if I was feeding dry...just my two cents.

·
Banned
470 Posts
My cats are thriving on Wellness Kitten chicken flavor dry.

Between the two of them, they get two 3oz cans of wet, and I alternate flavors. Dry is free-fed since they are kittens still. They WAY prefer the wet though, but only since I gave them the really well ground up mushy pate. The chunks in gravy they detest.

Poops are great now, nice brown well formed tootsie rolls, with low odor. Coat on Buttercup is fantastic, like a rabbits and shiny. Wesley's still looks a bit dull, and he sheds a lot, but he's always done that so it may just be genetic with him.

Edit: Oops, you want core for grain free.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I alternate daily between several grain-free wet foods. It seems to keep their interest and I never had a problem with it upsetting their stomachs as long as I stick to the grain free. If I stick with one brand too long they seem to lose interest and begin refusing to eat it. It takes some trial and error. Some flavors they love, but only once in a while, others they seem to like more often.

If your cat ate it fine at one point, try added some variety. It works for both my picky eaters.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When I was still feeding canned food I fed as much variety as possible.

Wellness, EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct, Before Grain, Natural Balance, Felidae, Weruva, Go! Natural, and Back to Basics all have grain free varieties of wet food.

Food Products has a list of grain free products, both dry and canned, that don't contain grain, dairy, and certain herbs/spices. While it is a site meant for owners of cats with IBD, it is still a great resource for info on food for all cats!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We tried variety. He just became uninterested in ANY canned. When I first transitioned him off of dry, onto dry+canned, and then onto only canned he'd reluctantly eat a bit of it, but not like the other cats would. When I started adding in the raw, forget it. Completely uninterested. I started to get really worried when he lost a bunch of weight and decided that I'm totally negating the point of a raw diet by unintentionally starving him, so I gave up on the raw with him (my other cats transitioned beautifully!) Then my plan was to keep him on a rotation of several canned foods. However, he was a cheap kibble junkie, thanks to my boyfriend, and just wasn't feeling it. Like I said, I tried at least six brands, all kinds of different flavors, the pate types, the chunks in gravy types...same results. Lick lick lick and walk away dismayed. I tried mixing things in to make it more palatable, it would work for about half of the meal and then he'd lose interest and walk away. It got to the point that we were offering his food to him every hour or two that we were home just to get him to eat a full days worth of food and he STILL wasn't eating everything or putting on any weight. Who wants to live like that? Not that I wouldn't do anything in my power for these guys, but he was obviously miserable with the situation. To me, it just wasn't worth it to keep trying to force him to enjoy or even accept something that he clearly wasn't even doing well on, ya know? But the second we added the first tiny bit of dry to his canned meals he was like a whole new cat! Now he gets soooo excited for his meals and asks for them several times a day. It was definitely the right decision for this guy.

I do, however, still intend on giving him variety in the canned portion of his diet. The brand he's on offers four (or five? Can't remember) formulas and we rotate with every can. We also just introduced a different brand that has maybe six or seven formulas, unfortunately two are chicken and the rest are fish, so we won't be using much of that. Now that I know he'll eat his meals, we can start to experiment with different types of canned.

Dweamgoil, thanks for letting me know. If that's the case, I'll just stick with the BG. And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts