Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 kittens. Right now we are feeding raw food mon-fri twice a day. They also get a meal of canned food in the evenings. On the weekends they get 3 meals of canned food but no raw. So far I have only fed them high quality, grain free food but its just costing me way to much. At each meal, each cat eats a whole 5oz can so we are going through about 22 cans of food a week averaging about $44 a week to feed the cats. To me that's just a crazy amount because it doesnt even include what I'm spending on their raw meals and i just cant do it anymore.
I would like a decent canned food that i can give in the evenings mon-fri but keep them on the real good stuff on weekends. I just have no idea what to look for. Whiskas, Friskies and Fancy Feast all list meat by products within the 1st few ingredients. Is there even half decent foods out there that cost less then what I'm paying now?

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Telling us what brands you're feeding now would help otherwise we just may be suggesting stuff that you're already using.

Have you considered going to the 12-13 oz cans? The price per oz is much less than the 5.5 oz cans. EVO, Wellness, Felidae, Holistic Select and probably a few others that I can't think of right now all have the larger cans.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm feeding a little bit of everything but mostly Nature's Variety Instinct because its mostly meat and Wellness because i can get it in the large can. Then I usually just walk down the aisle and grab a can each of other grain free brands averaging $2 a can.
The only other kinds I can get in the large cans is Holistic Select and Peformatrin but I have yet to buy either because I'm not sure how good they are.

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
OK...so I consider 3 factors when looking at a cat food:

Are the ingredients good (no corn, wheat, soy, corn gluten, wheat gluten, by-products, animal digest, meat meal etc.)
Are the ingredients human grade? (If they're pet grade it can include animals that were dead, dying, or diseased when they arrive at the slaughter house, moldy grains - some molds are toxic, insect infested meats/grains/veggies, etc.)
Where are the ingredients sourced from? China free is the goal, but many companies, even the good ones, source their vitamin package from China. So minimizing Chinese ingredients to the vitamin package is the goal.

I would rather feed a food with good quality whole grains than one that is grain free but pet quality with a lot of ingredients sourced from China. I can tell you that FF, Whiskas, Friskies and Performatrin fail one or more of those tests.

Some of the foods that meet the above criteria and may be lower priced:

Chicken Soup
Natural Balance
Taste of the Wild
EVO, California Natural, Innova - large cans
Felidae

ETA: Holistic Select in large cans

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
I just finished placing another order at wag.com a couple minutes ago. Their Merrick varieties for 5.5 ounces are $1.35 a can (free shipping with $49 order).

· Registered
171 Posts
Beware of Chicken Soup, it is comfortably affordable but it tends to make the litter boxes, flatulence, and breath smell AWFUL. I had my kittens on the kitten formula and every time they used the litter box, it stunk up the whole apartment. Which may have been my boys' reaction to it but it's something to be aware of.

· Registered
180 Posts
at Wag.com, you can get Innova Cat and Kitten Food in 13 oz cans for 19.99 for 12 cans. This makes it about 1.66 for 13 oz or .83 for 6 oz. Also, if you have a Petsmart their Authority brand is a mid-quality and runs around $.75-.79 for a 6 oz can.

· Registered
180 Posts
I should have added, that I'm in a similar situation due to the fact that as a new cat (have had her a month), I've had to expend close to $600 at the vet between emergency visits and regular vet visits. I hope you (and I) get some good ideas for cutting costs where possible.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK...so I consider 3 factors when looking at a cat food:

Are the ingredients good (no corn, wheat, soy, corn gluten, wheat gluten, by-products, animal digest, meat meal etc.)
Are the ingredients human grade? (If they're pet grade it can include animals that were dead, dying, or diseased when they arrive at the slaughter house, moldy grains - some molds are toxic, insect infested meats/grains/veggies, etc.)
Where are the ingredients sourced from? China free is the goal, but many companies, even the good ones, source their vitamin package from China. So minimizing Chinese ingredients to the vitamin package is the goal.

I would rather feed a food with good quality whole grains than one that is grain free but pet quality with a lot of ingredients sourced from China. I can tell you that FF, Whiskas, Friskies and Performatrin fail one or more of those tests.

Some of the foods that meet the above criteria and may be lower priced:

Chicken Soup
Natural Balance
Taste of the Wild
EVO, California Natural, Innova - large cans
Felidae

ETA: Holistic Select in large cans
So how do I figure out where its sourced from?

at Wag.com, you can get Innova Cat and Kitten Food in 13 oz cans for 19.99 for 12 cans. This makes it about 1.66 for 13 oz or .83 for 6 oz. Also, if you have a Petsmart their Authority brand is a mid-quality and runs around $.75-.79 for a 6 oz can.
Unfortunately I can't order online, I don't have a credit card :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.