Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’m currently looking for a new food brand for my large indoor cat. He is 17 lbs, and 5 years old. We recently stopped letting him go outside because I moved from a house with a yard, into an apartment complex so he isn’t been getting as much exercise as he used to. He isn’t overweight yet but he has gained about .5 pounds since this started and I want to keep him gaining any more. Right now I have him eating IAMS Healthy Adult, but I would like to get him something with more protein in it but also something that isn’t grain free because (correct me if I’m wrong) I’ve read that there are risks that come with putting your cat on a completely grain free diet. So if you have any suggestions or tips that would be great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe you could train him to walk on a leash? So you can keep him on a gluten diet, and he can get some exercise?

·
Super Moderator
26,596 Posts
There is nothing bad about a grain-free food. My girls eat Merrick canned food. Grammy's Pot Pie, Turducken and Thanksgiving Dinner. They don't like pate, they like food with texture.

Cats on a leash can't run (for exercise), they mostly inspect everything they come across while they're walking you. The only downside I've seen from walking cats, in talking to friends, is they may like it so much that they always want out and will cry and scratch at the door and whine until you take them.

Reactions: morile

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@marie73 from what I’ve researched about it, the FDA put out a statement that basically said it could be linked to heart problems in pets. I will definitely do some more research and check out the brand you mentioned though as I know different brands have different qualities! Thank you for you advice!

·
Super Moderator
26,596 Posts
True, but taking a couple steps and investigating a plant or flower, then taking another few steps and checking out something else isn't exactly for exercise. I'm not saying it's not good for the cats to get out of the house and walk, but my girls get their exercise chasing each other around the house or when they run around (for no earthly reason) in rocket-butt mode because some invisible monster is apparently chasing them. My friends send me videos of their cats' "walks" because they're funny - in that their cats are not dogs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is a good point, @marie73. I guess I didn't really think it through. My cats live outside, but they stay in the garage most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
26,596 Posts
Not rude at all. I enjoyed the vision of a cat running on a leash and trying to keep up with him. I was dog sitting for a Doberman once (sweetest dog ever) and as we were flying down the street, I thought, "Oh, so this is how I die." :eek: :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not rude at all. I enjoyed the vision of a cat running on a leash and trying to keep up with him. I was dog sitting for a Doberman once (sweetest dog ever) and as we were flying down the street, I thought, "Oh, so this is how I die." :eek: :)
Ha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts