Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to switch my ferrets onto a raw diet.

My little 10 week old kit is already eating raw medallions with nothing added to it.

Alice, my two year old, on the other hand - we're still at square one; maybe not even that far.
I've tried giving her:
Kibble moistened with only water.
Kibble with a little bit of baby food on top.
Kibble with EVO canned cat food mixed in.
A soup mix of moistened kibble/EVO canned/baby food/raw medallion.

She doesn't touch any of it. She hadn't eaten in 2 days, so I had to break down and give her kibble so she doesn't starve herself. I force her to at least taste it either by putting some on her nose, or by rubbing it on her gums. She has ZERO interest in any of it.

If anybody had any suggestions, I'm all ears! I want my baby to eat, but I really want to get them onto raw. (The cat and dog will come when we have a much larger freezer).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the only thing your cat is willing to eat is a cheap Wal-Mart food that's full of corn, fillers, and other junk, would you not try to put him on another food, even if he didn't want to eat it?

·
Registered
750 Posts
http://catinfo.org/docs/Tips for Transitioning PDF 1-14-11.pdf may be helpful for you to read, it has a lot of tips/tricks to try get kibble addicts onto other foods.

I have one cat that was so addicted to dry food, she wouldn't eat canned no matter what I did to it. Finally I decided that she was going to be switched - so I started syringe feeding her three ounces of canned food a day, and let her have a tiny bit of dry food to eat at her own will. Soon she started to realize that the canned food tasted pretty good, so I took away dry food entirely. I was able to later switch her to raw. Not ideal to have to resort to syringe feeding, but it did work for me, and she is so much healthier now!

Try all sorts of brands and textures of canned food, different brands of raw (a lot of cats LOVE RadCat), anything you can think of. All cats can be switched from dry food IMO, some are just way harder to convince than others!

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Ok, did I read it wrong? I thought the OP was trying to switch her FERRETS? Right???

I was looking into ferret info a few months ago and found a great holistic ferret care site with lots of info on switching to raw: The Holistic Ferret Forum - Home

If I'm remembering right they have a recipe for some sort of raw food soup that ferrets seem to love that helps you switch them...Maybe try searching that forum for info. :)

Good luck!

As far as what to feed cats...in general I try to feed my cats the best I possibly can, but TBH there are times when getting a cat to eat is more important that what they eat. Jitzu has gotten 'junk foods' because lately she's sticking her nose up at raw because of her constant cold. There's nothing I can do to fix it, but I CAN keep her weight up(or, at least I'm trying to.). She's gotten chicken baby food, mum-made super fine ground raw, ect. Since she has allergies I can't give her anything too junky, but if I could and she'd eat it I sure would. It's all about context, right?
(PS I like ferret photos....*hint hint*)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I came on here for advice, because I know cats can be picky like ferrets. :) (But yes, I'm trying to switch the ferrets).

I signed up for the mentoring program on there, so now I'm just waiting until a mentor is available to help me out. :)

As for the pictures, here you go! ;)

Alice:

Cooper:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.