Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 8 month old Bengal who grew up on IAMS. I've owned him for 3 months and slowly switched his wet and dry food to Blue Buffalo. He weighs 9lbs and is healthy according to the vet.

I'm currently feeding:

BlueBuffalo - Spa Select Wet (turkey and chicken)
BlueBuffalo - Wilderness Dry (chicken)

We've identified wet food as cause of his soft and watery stool. Perhaps its too rich for his needs. By reducing the amount of wet food from half a 5.5 can a day to 1/3 a can I was able to control the situation.

His poo smells awful and ignites the entire apartment every time he goes. I'm looking to try another alternative. What brands would you recommend?

·
Registered
12 Posts
you might try california natural chicken and brown rice. my boy is just coming off a few months of diarrhea and its the only thing i found that can work for him. im not sure if its the brown rice or egg thats helping, but its for sensative tummies and does seem to doing the trick for the moment. Note that the cali natural dry food will still give him the runs (even same flavor), so Im advising you try the canned version. I know its not grain free, but it works for him, so Im suggesting it for you! Best of luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cali Natural was VERY rich when I tried it. Gave Seymour(my dog) the runs when he was on it. I have good luck with Merricks. You could also try raw, it is what I feed now, and the dog and kitten are doing GREAT on it. Their poops hardly smell at all! And with the correct meat/organ/bone ratio, their poops are small and very well formed.

The nearly two year old cat's poop could clear a convention hall full of people with no noses it stinks so bad. We are working on getting her on raw, so far she is being a brat about it though. :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm wondering if feeding too much is part of the cause for the diarrhea. I'm not sure about cats, but I know if you feed too much to dogs, they can get the runs.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'd get him on a grain free canned diet, no dry, and add a probiotic daily. I use ProViable DC. It has completely stopped my young cats diarrhea issues. She has nice healthy normal size and shape poops, once a day now.

Try a brand/food that does not contain the same protein source you are using now. For instance if you are feeding chicken, use turkey, or beef, or venison protein instead.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys -I'm a busy scientist and feeding raw is not an option for me (sanitary and scheduling reasons). I've fed Natural Balance Chicken and Duck formulas and experienced wet stools. However if I reduce the amount to 1/3 can I'm sure it will work well. I will try the other forms of proteim and go back to Natural Balance LID. Is there a website where I can read on the different types and why one is preferable over another?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are websites that will explain the relationship between diet and health and will give you several options you can try. The Feline Nutrition Education Society is one, as is CatInfo.org.

By the way - you might not know it, but there are several commercial raw food options that take all the work out of raw feeding... just thaw and serve.

Regards!

AC
Thank you - However it would not work out for me because I'm unable to properly disinfect my floors/bed sheets/counters regularly due to a busy schedule. My kitty loves to face-rub, and if hes going to have persistent decaying food on his mouth, its a no brainier for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 8 month old Bengal who grew up on IAMS. I've owned him for 3 months and slowly switched his wet and dry food to Blue Buffalo. He weighs 9lbs and is healthy according to the vet.

I'm currently feeding:

BlueBuffalo - Spa Select Wet (turkey and chicken)
BlueBuffalo - Wilderness Dry (chicken)

We've identified wet food as cause of his soft and watery stool. Perhaps its too rich for his needs. By reducing the amount of wet food from half a 5.5 can a day to 1/3 a can I was able to control the situation.

His poo smells awful and ignites the entire apartment every time he goes. I'm looking to try another alternative. What brands would you recommend?
Never mind my post. Just saw the replies to the other posts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All,

I pinned down the source of Diarrhea to the "Gravy" in the can of Blue Buffalo Chicken and Turkey formula.

Diarrhea stopped when I reduced the amount of wet food to 1/3 can per day. Yesterday there was a fair amount of gravy at the bottom of the can and I decided to give it to him with the final 1/3 chunk of food. The next day he had runs.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You might also want to look into the possibility of him having food allergy issues to a particular protein. I believe fish also caughts runs too.

I use a placemat underneath the food dish. I mean you DO wash your food dish in the sink right? Just wash one extra thing: the placemat.

From what I've read if it IS food allergy related, feeding raw often deals with the issue effectively. Again, you can always go for the premade raw if chopping up meat seems like a lot of invested time/effort. I've tried Nature's Variety premade raw before. They're packed in 1oz blocks for easy dispensing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's clear you won't entertain the idea of raw, and I won't belabor the point, but, wow, dude, this totally made me LOL.

I have six cats who have been raw fed for years with whom I constantly share face rubs. To date, there has been no decaying flesh exchanged. (And just FYI, cat's saliva kills bacteria.)

Best regards.

AC
I have a degree in biology and have perfectly valid reasoning behind my decision to not feed-raw. It simple does not fit with my lifestyle and i'm doing the best I can in this situation. I prefer to not have raw/uncooked food residue rubbing on face of children or my bed on a daily basis. Please respect that.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
I have six cats who have been raw fed for years with whom I constantly share face rubs. To date, there has been no decaying flesh exchanged. (And just FYI, cat's saliva kills bacteria.)

Best regards.

AC
Remember when I posted that Charlee stole a chunk of raw ground beef and ate it? Later that evening, a neighbor stopped by and was snuggling with Charlee, saying hello.

I heard last week that half her face fell off.

Just fyi.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I forgot to mention, you might opt for high quality no grain brands if your cat appears to be sensitive. I feed Nature's Variety Instinct which is grain-free.

·
Registered
761 Posts
All,

I pinned down the source of Diarrhea to the "Gravy" in the can of Blue Buffalo Chicken and Turkey formula.

Diarrhea stopped when I reduced the amount of wet food to 1/3 can per day. Yesterday there was a fair amount of gravy at the bottom of the can and I decided to give it to him with the final 1/3 chunk of food. The next day he had runs.
Instead of cutting down on wet food (cats need wet food, they don't need dry) why not try another brand/protein source?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts