Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my name is Samantha, mom to four wonderful children :) I found this forum looking for some info on a condition called Cerebellar Hypoplasia. I have 2 dogs (a jug and a jack russel) 3 cats, a corn snake, a bearded dragon and 2 african dwarf frogs.

Does anyone here have any experience? My daughter's cat had kittens 4 weeks ago and one of the kittens has this. From what we are hearing, they are very hard to adopt out because people don't want a cat with problems. I think I am going to take him. I fell in love with him (all of them really) and had decided to take him before we realized anything was *wrong*. My only worry is that we live in a 3 story house. I know from what I am reading I will probably have to use a baby gate to keep him away from the stairs, and keep his litter box on the main floor where he would stay. Is there anything else I should know?
This is a link explaining the condition [URL="http://chcats.acmaurer.com/cerebellar-hypoplasia-the-basics"]http://chcats.acmaurer.com/cerebellar-hypoplasia-the-basics[/URL]
He is absolutely gorgeous and sweet (like all kittens) and he will have a good home with us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How severe is he? Ive seen cases where the cats could not walk at all and just constantly flipped over if they tried to walk to really mild cases where the cat just walked a bit stretched out like he was on a rocking ship trying to keep his balance.. The severe case cats we adopted out we recommended getting them a big comfy one level cat cage with a recessed litter box so they could flop around without hurting themselves while they werent being supervised and they didnt have to worry about climbing over the ledge of the box. The mild case kitties just do what you said and keep them on one level away from stairs with the box on the same floor. The mild case kittys usually get around just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's only four weeks old, so we really don't know the severity. So far, he is pretty wobbly. I've watched video and after video on youtube and some of them were so sad. The cats just flopped like a fish. There is one of a little orange kitten named Gordon, who walks and looks just like our baby (who is also orange btw). There is an update on Gordon at 18 mos (at the end of the video) and he walks pretty good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts