Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, I recently bought a house, complete with a fenced in yard. So, now I'm thinking of getting a dog. I have always wanted one and I think Hubby is finally starting to come around to the idea. :wink:

However, I already have Dusty. He is 4 years old and my baby. He loves me dearly (and of course, I love him more than life itself) and he can be a little skitterish. The one time we brought another animal into the house (a neighbor's kitten escaped and we found it for her), he freaked out, hissing and carrying on. I had never heard him hiss before. 8O

Of course, if we get a puppy, we'll go through the introduction process. We'll keep them separated at first and so on. I have also been doing some reading that suggests you should train the dog to understand the cat is higher on the pecking order than he is. That way, he is less likely to pick on the cat.

Anyways... here is my whole point. If we do decide to do this, what breed would be best? I personally love Papillons (http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/papp.cfm) and Shelties (http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/shetshee.cfm), but I think Hubby is more likely to want a retriever of some kind (Golden, Lab, etc.) What breed would be best to try to introduce to a cat? Should we get a puppy or adult dog? Male or female?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if a herding dog may not be the best selection for a cat companion??

I had a Rottie and a cat and they did fine together. Both were also introduced as adults. The cat actually tolerated the dog MUCH better than she did when we brought the kitten in the house.

My vote would be probably more for the Lab. And if you are introducing the dog as a puppy, I think the relationship will most likely end up to be a success. I think at the beginning the challenge will be getting the puppy to realize that the cat is not a toy and will not be amused when he/she comes charging towards it. Let the cat hiss and swat at the puppy and teach him that this is NOT acceptable behavior as far as the cat is concerned.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let the cat hiss and swat at the puppy and teach him that this is NOT acceptable behavior as far as the cat is concerned.
Good idea! It never occurred to me to let Dusty train the dog/puppy when it comes to how to treat him!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Also, in my experience, having owned both female and male dogs, I have found that in their younger years at least, male dogs tend to be a little more aggressive. Nothing you can't work with and NOT all MALE dogs are aggressive...just want to make that clear. But I tend to notice it more with males.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 4yo male rottweiler and a 10 mo boxer/apbt mix. Both dogs love the cats, although my girl tends to terrorize them a bit. I introduced Bear to the cats at the age of 3 and he has had no problem accepting them. The adult cats tolerate the dogs, and my kittens curl up and sleep with them.

Whatever breed you decide to get I wish you great luck. I've always said a house isn't a home unless there's a dog in it!

P.S. You may want to check out your local shelters and rescue groups. A lot of rescues put thier animals into foster homes and some may be able to tell you how they are with cats. You can also check http://www.petfinder.com

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Don't let the kitten episode scare you away from a dog. Stephen (5 y/o female) went after a kitten we tried to bring home last fall. She absolutely hates other cats and will not tolerate them.

She has accepted the new puppy completely. Within a few days of the puppy coming home, I had both in my lap at the same time. Mind you, they weren't cuddling and they still don't - but they do play together.

Stephen just tells the puppy when she doesn't want to play. There's an occassional hiss but that's it.

I do recommend allowing for an area where Dusty can go but the puppy cannot. It will give your kitty space when the puppy doesn't want to lay off.

We bought a child gate and blocked off our storage/pantry area. Stephen just hops it and goes to her "room". Her food and litterbox are in there so she has access to everything she needs when she wants to be left alone. Sometimes she'll go in her "room" and sit and look out at everyone like "yeah, this is my room."

Of course, we do have a Yorkie. With a larger breed, you might have to consider options other than a child gate.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hmmm. Well my first experience introducing a new puppy to a cat was kind of funny. Oreo "visited" the house at 1 week old - my friend at the time owned the dog who had the litter and brought over a few of the puppies, including mine, so me and my dad could oo and aww over them. The cat took one look, eyes went wide, and he freaked out and woudln't go near them. I still laugh about that - they hadn't even opened their eyes yet, couldn't move, and the cat was afraid of them.

In any case - whether or not the dog will be good around cats is in most cases more dependent on the dog's individual personality than the breed. I would recommend researching the breeds and choosing one that suits your lifestyle, one that you like. Don't make that decision based on the cat. :) A puppy brought into the house will be easy to teach how to act around the cat, and will probably never outgrow thinking that the cat is bigger and scarier than it is. ;) My bro has a half-rottie puppy that got wallopped by one of the cats when she tried to "play" with it, and I think that lesson will stick by her even when she weighs ten times as much.

However another alternative would be to adopt a dog that has been tested around cats - ie, grew up with cats. Make SURE they actually do the testing on that, though. And do it as a trial period, because until you get them home you never really know how it'll turn out. I'm sure the rescue would understand your concerns.

We're doing the opposite right now - introducing a new cat to our dog. Both adults, though the dog is young enough to still be goofy and stupid. (a little over 1 year old). Starting to think a kitten would have been a better idea. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide. Let the pets tell you what they want and you can't go wrong. :)

Edit: and PS, my Oreo is a border collie, definitely a herding breed. ;) No, they're not the best, and they've never gotten cuddly, but herding can be trained and is relatively harmless. I'd be more leery of breeds that were bred to hunt small animals.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would also not sugest a herding dog unless you are really have a lot of time to spend with them - my boyfriend wanted to get sheep herding dog - I also hear they like to nip at cats to get them to go where they want... nope! Not getting them.

I sugest a girl - since they are a bit more calm and aren't as agressive as before said. The girls might want to play with the kitties - but they appear to ask for permission first rather than shove their heads infront of the cats. You CAN train a boy though, so get what you like.

Get a puppy - unless you can find a dog that gets along with cats very well. If they don't have any info about the dogs getting along with cats - don't get it. Puppies are a lot easier to train than dogs you don't have any history on. If you do get an adult dog - make sure you have a enough background on him or her to feel comfortable with bringing your doggy home.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
KittyEnvy said:
My bro has a half-rottie puppy that got wallopped by one of the cats when she tried to "play" with it, and I think that lesson will stick by her even when she weighs ten times as much.
This made me laugh, especially since our full grown Rottie (105lbs) got wallopped by our cat on a daily basis. She'd just lay down, let out a huge sigh and let her do it. It was so cute. They both were introduced as adults and the cat moved into the dog's home - so it's funny that it turned out this way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
AddFran said:
KittyEnvy said:
My bro has a half-rottie puppy that got wallopped by one of the cats when she tried to "play" with it, and I think that lesson will stick by her even when she weighs ten times as much.
This made me laugh, especially since our full grown Rottie (105lbs) got wallopped by our cat on a daily basis. She'd just lay down, let out a huge sigh and let her do it. It was so cute. They both were introduced as adults and the cat moved into the dog's home - so it's funny that it turned out this way.
lol Cats always manage to rule the roost. That same cat grew up with the border collie, who gets beat on now and then. The cat will grab onto her back leg and get dragged down the hall, biting at her the entire time. Oreo doesn't even look at him, just keeps walking until he falls off. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts