Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to get my last wisdom tooth out today as it had become infected.

The dentist gave me the jabs and started trying to extract it when I had gone numb...suddenly the whole tooth shattered :roll:

He spent 40 minutes digging around before sending me off to the local hospital after a call to one of the oral surgeons, who then proceeded to cut my tooth out through the gum.

I am now at home armed with codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol which he told me to take all at once when the jabs wear off :crying :crying

oh yes, forgot about the 6 stitches :cry:

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Oh yuck, that stinks....on a Friday too! Well take the good drugs, curl up with a kitty and weather it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good drugs? Opiates aren't good drugs, they suck.

He should have given you something a little stronger then 'codeine' . I would have demanded Oxycontin or Morphine :p

Hope you feel better!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I'm sorry your tooth shattered but I am glad the dentist then referred you to an oral surgeon to be assured of getting all of the shards out with the least amount of damage. I've had at least 6 molars removed via oral surgery. Probably more like 8. I only have 24 teeth in my head right now. I do not think I've ever had a dentist extract one, I've always been to the oral surgeon and been knocked completely out.
You should heal pretty well. Those oral surgeons are meticulous about their work.
My oral surgeon also did the 1985 maxilofacial surgery on my jawbone, slicing it in half on both sides in an "S" shape and sliding the jawbone out more than a half inch to correct an awful overbite. I had NO pain from that major surgery. I do not remember any pain at all during recovery.
Sending you best wishes for healing well,
Heidi

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
:patback Poor Xanti! That was no fun at all. I'm glad an oral surgeon took care of it for you. They are amazingly skilled. Just rest and let the family and us spoil you today.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, you guys are great at giving sympathy :D

The anesthetic has worn off now and its not too painful at all! Looks like you were right about the oral surgeons Heidi and Jeanie :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Poor you - sounds painful. I hate the dentist. Stitches as well?!!! Nightmare for you. Make sure you take the painkillers and hope you've got some nice ben n jerry's!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I hope you feel better too!

When I got my wisdom teeth out I went to an oral surgeon too, but mine still got infected. :( Just my left bottom one, but it hurt so bad! It was super infected, all gross...I drained it myself. My mum's a nurse so I just sterilized a needle and did it...felt so much better after, lol. I def. don't recommend that for everyone! All they gave me was tylenol 3s...I was unimpressed. heh

I hope it heals good for you, I've still got a bit of a dip where all four of my wisdom teeth used to be, 2 years later...

Good luck and fast heeling!

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
I am proof that we are evolving. :) I had only two wisdom teeth, and both were impacted. I understand that we are gradually losing them, since we don't really need them. We don't graze much any more. :wink: (unless there are home made cookies in the house)

·
Registered
777 Posts
:patback

You poor thing , I used to be petrfied of dentists..... until I found the one I have now a lovely teddy bear of a man :D

I hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
990 Posts
What a rotten ordeal! I got all four of mine out at once last fall and it really sucked, but only for a couple of days. None of mine were impacted or shattered, it just sounded like a really tight wine bottle cork being levered out as the oral surgeon pulled them.

But look for the possible bright side - getting mine done was apparently traumatic enough to shock my cat allergy right out of me, allowing me to finally adopt cats after wanting to have cats all my life but previously being extremely allergic to them. Maybe yours will also take care of an annoying allergy!

Good luck with your recovery!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts