Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue No. 1:

I took in three death row "Unadoptable" older kittens (about 6mo) as fosters. The two siblings quickly reformed and I got them adopted. That leaves on from that group.

The other kitten has made enormous progress but she still has a way to go. Before she broke out of confinement, I was able to fight through her biting and scratching to hold her. And after a few minutes she would purr in my arms. Now the she broke loose, I have not been able to hold her that way at all. She originally hid all the time (such as wedging herself under the sofa). Now she it out all the time and does not hide. She will climb on the bed with me and will even sleep on my legs. However, she will not let me touch her and she hisses viciously at me if I approach. She is happy in the house but she is still not adoptable. She gets along well with the resident cats. I find her cuddling and playing with the others. She has been with me a couple of months and I am looking for ideas to move her to the next step.

Given enough time she will come around, but she is quickly losing any remaining inherent kitten cuteness. Plus she is all black. Going back to the shelter and living is not an option for her.

Issue No. 2:
Another foster joined me a month ago from a rescue group. She looks like she is a couple of year old and she had been abandoned and was living outside. She sits out in the open but stays by herself. There are my three cats and two other fosters (one described above) in the house. However, there have been no serious squabbles. I've seen the kitten foster sitting near her but there is little to no interaction between her and the other five. I can reach out and pet this girl in very small doses but she can lash out without warning. She does not seem happy and I have seen no change in her behavior in the month she has been with me.

The rescue was considering her for barn cat status but I sense she wants to be indoors. I don't see much of a market for a purely ornamental cat.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
In regard to your foster kitties, how much have you played actively with them? You don't mention anything about this. Kittns have to change their attitude that you are "Mr. Wonderful" who takes time to play with them, give little treats (commercial ones or tiny bits of cooked chicken), and not just try and hold them. If you don't have one or two get a couple of those wand toys with feathers on the end. With the wand imitate how a bird behaves, such a a robin, that hops along the ground, then flies up to a perch, and flits around a bit in the air. . Have a piece of cord or heaving string and while you're in bed draw the cord around in a snakeylike movement, over or under your legs and around your body. Make sure you put the wands away in a safe place, until next play session---you defiitely don't want them to ingest the feathers that could result in a stomach/abdominal blockage! Occasionally, give some small treats, followed by gentle petting or tickling their cheeks or chin if kitty tolerates that. Watch for any signs of annoyance---a flicky tail---and stop. Never force them to do anything, but let them come to you for affection You'll need lots of patience and it may take months. A lot of foster kittens never received a "proper socialization"----ie. staying with the mom cat for 3 months where they learned "cat language" from her and other cats and kittens when to control their bite and claws, and that humans are their special friends, who feed and groom them and play with them. Kitties that are raised as an orphan may never learn to control its bite or claws. So this is not kitty's fault---it may be accidental (momacat left/died), oftentimes an owner's fault, as they didn't interact with the kittens, just fed them. So hope this has been helpful, and thank you sooo much for the work you're doing with these fosters to get them to an adoptable stage. Kudos to you!.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts