Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently on vacation for one month, and I left my cats at my friend's home. My cats have never lived anywhere outside my own place. I've always hired a cat sitter to take care of them at home when I'm away, but this time it's a very long period, so I decided to leave them with my friend.

It's been 4 days since I left them with my friend. According to my friend, Metoo adjusted faster, she started wondering around on the 2nd day. Meatball just started to relax and came out of behind couch last night. They are showing affection to my friend and her boyfriend as well. They appetite also increased a lot.

Since two days ago, Meatball started meowing loudly outside the bedroom for a long time around 5-6am, even when the bedroom door is open. My friend tried feeding her but it doesn't stop her. Meatball was an extremely quiet girl at my place. Sometimes I didn't even hear her meow once for a whole day. And if I sleep with my bedroom door open, she would jump on my bed and sleep with me. So I'm wondering what triggered her behavior? Is it because she misses me? Is there a way to ease her mind, and stop this behavior? My friend and her BF cannot sleep well with this going on, and I am worring about my dear Meatball :sad:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Meatball misses you and her home. Your friends can install some feliway plug in diffusers, this may help. Rescue Remedy may also help. Time is what is needed the most of course, but feliway and rescue remedy will help to reduce Meatball's stress.

Do they have familiar things around them, from your home?

Can your friends get into your home, to get a blanket or something else that smells like you, for her to curl up on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
From my experience cats get very stressed out/sad when you leave them at a friends. They have no idea that you will be back and feel abandoned. Our cat was at a friend's for a week, and when she came back she was not the same. It took her about 3-4 weeks to show me affection again. But every cat is different...I would definitely have a blanket, pillow or something with you scent on it brought to your friend's home. It may help!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
you should call them on the phone, too, if you can! if your friend can let metoo and meatball hear your voice, then maybe they'll be comforted that you haven't truly abandoned them. just keep telling them you miss them and you'll be back as soon as you can! i know we leave messages on the answering maching for our kitties to hear even when we're going to be a couple hours late. in that book, "cat calls", the cat sitter says one of her clients did that while she was actually there taking care of the cats and she swears the cats were comforted by their mommy's voice. do it as often as you can! :D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks for the suggestions! I asked my friend to put the towel that I brought from my home outside. My friend also gave extra attention/love to Meatball. And Meatball finally stopped meowing last night! She is also very affectionate toward my friend now. Lots of rubbing and lap napping. Seems my girl has overcomed the difficulty and is back to herself. I'm so releaved! ^o^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts