Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has been forced to move unexpectedly into an apartment that does not permit pets, so I am going to adopt her 9-month old female cat. I'm a little nervous about adding another female into the mix, I'll have 3 girls now, but hopefully it won't be too rough. I plan to follow all the recommended tips and instructions for introducing a new cat.

I should be getting her in two weeks. I'm hoping they'll all be used to each other by the time I move into my new place (end of May). I promised my sister that if it does not work out with me, I would find the kitty a new permanent home with someone I trust and know will care for her properly.

G

·
0 Posts
yea, i once knew someone called lola. not molly tho, thatd be a HUGE coincidence. Cats are not the answer if uve got too many ppl in ur house

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I picked up the kitty today. Her name is Misty, but if I keep her, I may change it. As for the "if I keep her" part...my sister hasn't ever taken her to a vet, she's never had shots, and she's not spayed. I hadn't realized she'd never had any veterinary care, which makes me a little angry with my sister, but life goes on. While I knew about the spaying part and have been setting aside the money for that, I am not sure I can afford to get her vaccinated, dewormed (if she has them), etc, on top of the spay.

Does anyone know how much the vaccine clinics at Petco/Petsmart usually cost? Maybe that's an option.

If I didn't have a mortgage soon on the way, I wouldn't be so worried about all of this.

Soo....for the time being, I am keeping her but actively trying to seek out a home where she can be cared for properly. Anyway, enough babbling, here she is:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ooooh she's so pretty! Look at those eyes! (Sidenote: what a great photo - -what kind of camera do you have?)

Well, since you're doing your sister a huge favor, why not ask her to help you pay for the vet checkup? You can always go there just for the office visit, then get the checks done for about...50-60 bucks? If she needs extra care, and it costs more, you can get an estimate but you don't have to do it, and you might be able to get on a payment plan as Molly and Lola already have been to your vet, and you're their customer. A place around here called Animart does shots for about 10 bucks because all you do is stand in line -- there's no office visit fee. But if she's never been checked I wouldn't do that. And check for cheap spaying places around you -- I think there's a list somewhere in this forum, someone else might be able to find it quicker than me.

Also -- some vets or spaying clinics are nice. You can tell them that the cat has never had a vet visit. Heck -- tell them the cat was stray...whatever. My vet gives 50% off the office visit for rescued cats. Check things out -- your best bet for this cat is to do all the shopping around you can. Good luck with her -- she's gorgeous.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ForJazz, my camera is a Canon Powershot A60. :)

Well I'm really falling in love with Misty and I am torn about whether to keep her or not. I am going to take her to Petco next weekend for their vaccine clinic. It will cost me about $50 for rabies, the combo booster, and deworming, which is pretty reasonable. I also contacted Spay USA about a low-cost spay/neuter program and they are going to send me a certificate for a low-cost spay and a list of participating vets in my area. Unfortunately my sister is unable to help me at all financially so that's not an option. I wish it was though! We'll see what happens.

Here's another picture of her. :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My God she's gorgeous! What a beauty. I'm glad she'll be getting proper care now -- you are an angel for doing all that for her -- you just *have* to keep her after that! ;) Sorry -- I'm biased. :oops: I wish I lived closer so that I could be her "backup Mommy." She is just breathtaking.

ps -- I'm going to look up that camera, by the way. Definitely interested if the pics all turn out like yours. ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
C'mon Kerri, be honest with us. There is no way you are going to be able to give up that gorgeous kitty, now is there? :wink: She's a cutie!

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know...she really is hard to resist. I just love her. Now to just convince Molly and Lola that they love her too. :D

ForJazz: I love my camera!! It really does take great pictures, and it was under $200 when I bought it. The only post-work I did on the pictures of Misty above was to change the pupil color back to black in Photoshop. The flash makes them green all the time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it is official, I'm keeping her. ::))

I gave her a brand new name, I wasn't too fond of the one she came to me with. And I made a new banner including her. :) There's no going back now, my heart is set on her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts