Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya!
Hi, I have a 13 year old female Burmese seal cat. Her behaviour hasn’t changed, she’s still bubbly, friendly and has had no change in feeding habits; but I have noticed that around her anus, there are two round(ish) faeces looking things. I attempted to remove them using a warm wet towel and gentle pulling but on closer inspection, they look as though they are coming out of her skin. What are they, and what should I do? - I’ve done some googling and it might be her anal glands? Her behaviour hasn’t changed at all, very happy kitty, but I realise I’ve noticed these brown/ black blobs around her bum on several occasions but I just assumed it was poop that she’d clean off. Does anyone have any advise as to whether it is anal glad secretions, and if so what I can do to remove them as painlessly as possible for her? ( she doesn’t seem bothered by them and doesn’t present with the symptoms of an anal gland issue)
thank you all in advance 😻

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Most cats clean their anal glands by licking them. Any discharge that becomes bothersome to her by her licking frequently, scooting on carpet or a rug or avoiding the litter box and especially if they become reddish and infected which could lead to a painful abscess. Definitely take your Burmese to the vet for treatment before they get reddish.

Reactions: Rizal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spots(?), two of them; are brown, the colour of her poop. She isn’t scooting. Recently she relieved herself on the carpet which is completely out of character. She also urinated while she was asleep- that’s never happened before, but I’m chalking that up to her age. - so should I just keep an eye on her, make sure she isn’t uncomfortable and see if she tidies it up herself? If so how long should I allow for her to remove them?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hello
I would recommend taking her to the vet. Seems she needs an Anal Sac Treatment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Her glands sound like they're full or even impacted which happens in older cats. A vet or cat groomer can express them.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts