Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
diotima's weight is stabilized, i even got her from 6.2 to 6.8 so yay. now the other two want to throw a wrench in it haha. (isn't that how it always is?)

i can't tell if houdini is not eating because he's freaked out by diotima. i was going to take him with yesterday and then things happened and i didn't. as expected, he jumped and hissed all night and even a little today. (it usually only lasts overnight, the next day he's fine.) but yesterday she turned into a drama mama i guess and wet herself, and the vet tech said, "rather than clean her up and traumatize her more, i'm just going to put her back in her carrier." she didn't feel wet, but you know how cats can smell everything. so he probably smelled that and figures she's extra scary. that he's afraid of her because of the eau de vet and urine is all i can figure out. at first i thought he was mad, but i think he's afraid.

all he would eat today was a little dry food. baci is over 11 lbs. and he's on the see-saw--you know, the eat-one-more-sandwich-and-you're-fat see-saw lol. the vet has 3 cats that live in their office and one of them is about exactly the same size, so he's highly scrutinized and has a weight chart posted on the wall. so i'm going to have to watch him very closely because he just loves canned food. he would look great at 10 lbs., so if i estimate him @ 27 cal. per pound (the average is 30, but that's just a rough estimate. he's 100% indoor and we play not he's not extremely active) (i'd put houdini @28, because the vet said 22 for d. is about right) then that would be three cans a day or even 2 cans and 1/4 c. dry and some change. eventually it will be no dry but i still have some in the house. they're used to it first thing in the morning so they're down to that.

but houdini has been getting progressively pickier about his food (he'll eat something one time and then paw it like he's covering it up the next, and it's arbitrary) he's been getting treats (like 7) and i'm afraid he's going to think, "i'll just not eat that good food or the dry and i'll get treats at night because i'm starved." so that means an end to the treats, doesn't it? i mean, if he's going to get to where that's all he will eat, that's dumb. (well i mean, that just doesn't fly.) i mostly started giving him the treats because diotima gets baby food to keep weight on, therefore baci must have some too (he just gets a taste, like whatever she didn't lick off the spoon. it's hardly any but he HAS to feel like he's getting something) but houdini won't eat meat baby food! can you imagine? i don't think i've had tuna in the house since i got him and he's almost two. knowing him, he wouldn't even like that.

so it's either the weirded out "i smell a vet but he must be invisible" syndrome that caused him not to eat, or he's just trying to see how far he can get.

i know cats can't go over 24 hours without eating, so should i cut out the morning dry altogether? that way when he's starving, the canned is there and if he wants to eat, he has to eat that. then if he won't, should i only wait until early afternoon to offer him dry in lieu of canned?

he's about 7.8. he's fine but even if he were 7.0 it wouldn't be the end of the world. i can feel both their ribs and houdini has a waist, baci's is disappearing lol. (and there are no cat spanx HAHA) i think he ate less than he needed today (about 200, i think he got maybe 150 with the treats, there's no cal. count on them).

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don't have anything constructive to say but the thought of cat SPANX made me burst out laughing. MANX SPANX XD

It does sound like Houdini is stressed. Maybe try only putting the food down for a certain amount of time and then pick it up again to see if that stimulates him to eat? (Of you're not doing that already)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have you considered the base problem is not the food or even eating, but the psychological insecurity Houdini is feeling? Give him extra personal attention to reassure him and that should help with his stress and encourage better eating.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sometimes that's all you can do. *laugh* manx spanx does sound really funny. deep down though, i hope no one ever does that because there's enough of a pet weight issue already without making things so they can cover it up LOL

that's what i'm doing. spoonful of canned. looks at it walks away. i put it back in the can and in the fridge. an hour later, put some dry in. he did eat a little but left about half so i scoop that up. as soon as houdini minces off, biggie smalls is right there, "I GOT IT MOM NO PROBLEM MOM YUM YUM YUM . . . HEY!" third time i put it down, when he walked away i said, "oh for f's sake," grabbed it up, held it to my face, and went, "nom nom nom mmmm this is good mmm nom you can't have any nom." he looked me like, "you are soooooo stupid." if i pretend like i'm eating something it always gets the other two but not this one.

i'll give him a few days. treats are in the freezer haha (well i took out the trash and didn't want to toss them just yet) so i bet he'll be really hungry tomorrow! all oliver twist and shizz.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts