Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a lot late telling the story but it was a chaotic week.

Monday my (very sad) kids went away in the morning to school and then for the week with mommy (shared guard, alternating weeks). The house becomes a lot calmer. And my wife and mine schedules a lot more relaxed.

It was near to midnight and we were on the livingroom eating dinner and watching TV when Loreta shows up and starts mewoing. She is usually very quiet, so I said "I guess time has come!". She had gone upstairs to the sleeping rooms' floor but came back down and went downstairs to the basement, looking back to see if I was following. I went after her and she went straight into the box (check my other "maternity room is ready" post for info on the room). I sat next to the box and petted her. She was going between restless and needy and calm. I eventually laid on the floor and fell asleep there. Around 5h30 in the morning she was more restless and I was always waking up. Sat down playing on the mobile and petting her.

More restlessness from 6h onwards and at 6h38, with a meow that was like pain and relieve, the first baby popped out. She licked and cut the umbilical cord and took care of it. I filmed a bit but then just watched. Never touched as she looked like she didn't need help. Things calmed down, the kitty latched on the titty, all good. Around 7h20 more restlessness and a second kitty popped out. Loreta again took care of it all and then laid down with two kitties latching. Just after 8h a third kitty came out. After the 3 were on titties, I offered Loreta some water and food but she took nothing, just petting. Quickly she pushed the babies away and the 4th came out just around 8h30! With all four latching on her titties, she fell asleep.

Later I went there a couple times and she was sleeping. When she was awake, I offered food on her mouth. She ate all pieces I gave her and at a given time she just got up (one kitty was hanging on the titty and fell on his back, didn't know if I should laugh or be sorry) and went to the plate and ate it all.

I never touched the kitties on the first day. I have now touched lightly their heads and my wife has hold them when Loreta was not around.

I phoned the vet and she said that if the kitties were all on the titties, lively and growing, no worries. If the mother was active, eating, drinking and living the kitties alone for small bits, no blood not other stuff on the litterbox, she was good too. Not to take them there until later for shots. To go there in 3 weeks to get deworming medicine. Neutering only after they are out of titties.

Loreta became more mobile and stopped using the maternity's litterbox and went back to the other one upstairs. I think she doesn't want to be in the toilet with kids interrupting. Any parent can relate! 馃樄
But she spends most of the time on the box with the babies and she purrs when we go there to pet her or just sit there on the floor near her.

So, I don't know how to put videos and we can't put youtube links. I have one cute of two kitties fighting for a titty and then Loreta breaking it up. The videos with kitties coming out in the sac with all the goo I guess noone would like to see anyway. So, there are three photos just to show. Please bear with me, not the best photographer, making do with a phone on a dark room with black kitties on a black pillow... The first was right after they were all born, Loreta's leg is still wet. The other two were taken a day later with flash, while Loreta was away.
1624278981663.png 1624278829264.png 1624278852221.png

I would like to replace the pillow with a clean one but I'm too afraid to mess with the stuff Loreta accepted! Aren't they cute?!?! 馃樆馃樆馃樆馃樆
They were born on the day my wife and I celebrated 2 years living together. Two reasons to party in the future.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, @Kitty827 ! Yes, precious! And her instincts, she knew what to do without anyone teaching her. It was perfect, she handled it all. And she seems calmer and more affectionate now, too!

Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
Congratulations! What a precious story. Enjoy those kittens!

Registered
Thank you, @Kitty827 ! Yes, precious! And her instincts, she knew what to do without anyone teaching her. It was perfect, she handled it all. And she seems calmer and more affectionate now, too!
She's gonna do a wonderful job raising them, too! She's a good mama. Cats are supposed to just know what to do and how to do it. There are some mama cats that don't what to do and need help with the delivery and raising the kittens.

Registered
Congrats HappyFather and family on your 4 beautiful newborns! You did a super job making sure Loreta had everything she needed which I'm sure she appreciated. The pix are great and just keep them coming. They've got lots of Aunties here!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you @miscellaneous !
Photo time!!!
Kitties on titties! Love the little paws with little fingers pressing against mommy's belly.
1624444265308.png

The father has been around. Got this photo of him across the street, using 8x zoom (doesn't allow getting nearer nor petting as it is a street cat)
1624444327220.png

Registered
Aww, so cute! What they are doing is called "kneading". They knead to make mama's milk come out. Once they get a little older, they will do it when they are happy, comfortable, and sometimes when they are nervous.

Yep, he would have to be the father. He is a gorgeous kitty!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many congratulations on a successful birth and kudos to the new and very good mama.
You will, of course, continue to post photos and tell stories about them, right? ;)
Thank you! And of course I will!!! :D
1624536136556.png
The kitties sleeping. They are getting photosensitive, probably the eyes are about to open. They are 9 days old and eyes should open between 8 and 12 days. When I snapped the pic, the one belly up got agitated and kicked before continuing to sleep.
I still can't tell them apart. I feel a bit sad because of that but honestly they look all identical to me. And all lovely! 馃樆馃樆馃樆馃樆

Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
Aw, look at the little kitties! Pretty soon they'll be crawling all over each other, and when they learn to walk, they'll start cruising around the immediate area. Gotta be careful during this phase, as they can easily get underfoot when you're not looking.

P.S. Pop looks like a tough street-wise cat, lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P.S. Pop looks like a tough street-wise cat, lol.
Yes, he does! As I'm trying to understand the hierarchy of the neighbourhood's street cat colony, I'm getting the feeling that he is the top cat.

On more news... Seems Loreta had the kitties in the Maternity to make me happy but it was not what she wanted for real... Note when I told the initial story that when she called me she first went upstairs to the rooms' floor and then downstairs to the basement where the maternity was? Well... Let me go back to Saturday, 12th June, 3 days before the kitties were born.

My boy was storing cloths on his room, had several drawers open. Then we went to play on his computer. And Loreta was nowhere to be seen. And I spent 2 hours roaming the neighbourhood thinking she fled (not sure how, but cats are magicians when they want) to have her kitties somewhere.
As I give up and call everyone to have dinner, the boy goes to his room and hears Loreta bumping inside one big drawer...

Yesterday morning, kid wakes up and is putting away on that same big drawer some clothes that I folded the previous night. Loreta usually comes to the rooms' floor as we wake up to greet us and ask for food. She saw the drawer open, got in, got out and then went away. Kid goes into the bathroom and leaves drawer open. When he comes back, 3 kitties were on the drawer and then we (kids called me to watch) see Loreta carrying the 4th kitty. And they are now living on that drawer, that we emptied of clean clothes and placed blankets inside.

My wife believes that, since the kitties now have their eyes open, Loreta wants them to see day and night. The basement was only electric lights, on 24h/7d, always dim. She is probably right. Also, the box where they lived was getting crammed as the kitties are getting visibly bigger!!!

The boy was happy that the cats were all sleeping with him and is sad that today he moves away for the mommy-week.

So, now I have more light for pictures!!!

Loreta, with her litter, inside the drawer (that is an underbed drawer on the boy's bed)
1624879307086.png

One of the kitties and my hand
1624879416994.png 1624879445486.png

Kitties sleeping!
1624879558659.png 1624879604887.png 1624879652207.png

I hope I've made Aunties and Uncles happy! 馃樆 馃樆 馃樆 馃樆

Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
Aw, look at the kitties! And Loreta sure is pretty! Good move, upgrading from the box to the drawer... she knows the little ones need more room. Kid should be happy with the cat & kittens right there next to the bed. Awesome pics! Now I have to go water plants in the yard, we're still under drought conditions here in southeast Arizona... hoping for torrential monsoon rains in the near future! Keep up the good work, the kittens look like they're doing well! Cheers!!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The kitties are growing sooo fast!!! Loreta with kitties:
1625138642623.png

One baby with baby blue eyes:
1625138696375.png

Loreta stimulating a baby (the video I got after is more fun, though) and the baby was clawing and trying to bite as if mad:
1625138773322.png

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(...) Have you found any potential homes for them yet? Or are you keeping them?
I have a friend that asked me for one of the kitten, preferably a female. I would rather keep them all, so I haven't actively looked for homes. My wife was saying that 5 are too many but then she was looking online for best names for black cats and asking me when can we know their sex... So maybe we can keep them all 馃檹

(...) She also appears to be calmer and more loving today!
It is true! She is less aggressive, calmer, also more vocal. The only thing I miss is that she doesn't spend time on my lap when I'm watching TV. She comes, stands on my lap to be petted a bit, then goes on the back of the couch and licks my hair for a minute and then she goes away again. Now she also licks my wife's hair, I believe they are making new bonds now.

Loreta obeys my wife and doesn't obey me (i.e. when one of us tells her to jump down from the kitchen counter to the floor). My wife says that is because I don't educate her properly... I'm starting to think she is right, specially after we were both on the kitchen and she told Loreta to go down and Loreta looked at me and mewoed, as if asking my support to do what she wanted. 馃槼

Registered
Adorable pix of Loreta and the babies! It's so cute she chose your son's drawer to put them in. As they say in real estate... location location location!

And yes, 5 cats is a lot of cats (food, Vet bills, college tuition) but I think you're going to have a very hard time letting them go. Years ago, my cat had 3 kittens and 3 of my friends were waiting to take them. 8 weeks went by, 10 weeks went by, 12 weeks came and went. I kept saying "Um, I don't think they're ready". Finally, my friend called and said "I want my kitten! So off they went to their new homes (wah!) and lived happily ever after.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts