Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we got Lola she was on a horrid Big Lots brand of cat food. Cats Pride I believe. Once we took her to the vet, she said she was overweight and told us to get Science Diet Hairball light dry..... well....being new cat owners we did that....and then the but scooting began. She was having lose stools....So, I changed her to Science Diet Hairball wet for a few weeks....same issue. Then went to Blue Bluffalo Wellness, same issue. Now she is on Wellness Core...same issue if not worse. Each transition has been slow and we have had her on it for several weeks fully each time for a good trial period. Any suggestions? FYI she is a 2 yr old MC Mix, almost 13 lbs, and I am gone for 10+ hrs a day, hence the dry food ( even though we did try the wet ).

·
Registered
709 Posts
Evie had similiar symptoms- she had chronic diarrhea. Pooping at least 8 times a day. We went to the vet several times about it, and all the suggested was that she had a bug- but antibiotics and medicines didn't clear it up. I was getting very frustrated, and Evie was looking more and more unwell. We took her to a different vet and spent about an hour talking about all the different possibilities. In the end we decided to try an elimination diet to see whether Evie has food intolerances. The vet recommended Purina or Science Diet, but I refused. I searched online and found a higher quality wet food. One has a single source of protein, the other has a single source of protein and carbs. Low and behold- there was an almost immediate difference. She started pooping twice a day, now down to once. Through elimination we worked out that she's allergic to chicken, lamb and all grains except for rice. Yes, this makes food hunting tricky (especially as I live in England!), but she's worth it. She can now eat duck, pheasant or beef food.

It may be worth trying an elimination diet? I know MowMow one here is allergic to chicken too- I think she feeds Evo? Unfortunately I can't get that here!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point! We just started her on one for "digestive care". It it doesnt work. We are going to do what you suggested.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news the digestive care is doing wonders. only 1 -2 poops a day and they are firm. WHOO HOOOO!! no more but dragging!! no more daily booty baths !!!

can you tell I am excited?

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's how I feel! Evie is now producing solid poops! I couldn't contain my excitement, life with cats, hey?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts