Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my kitty bill has lost a lot of hair in one area by his butt, its not on his butt more like on the theigh part and it's only one spot like it's not on the other leg, at first i thought maybe fleas, but he's never had fleas and i never ever see him scratch, then i thought maybe worms but then it wouldn't be in the place it is. it doesn't seem to bother him like i don't even think he knows he's missing hair, and you can touch it and press on it and it doesn't bother him. i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Keep an eye on it, if it gets worse or you notice more of these spots showing up you really need to take him to the vet.

My first thoughts would be ring-worm (which is not a worm at all, it's a fungus) or allergies.

Have you noticed anything else different about him at all?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I've been watching it for a while now, and it hasn't seemed to get any worse and i haven't noticed anything different in him at all, he's the same as always. I don't think it's a ring worm because there's no ring, but i'm not sure what ring worms in cats are like, i assume same as humans? but Thankz for your reply.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That's a common area to develop an allergic disease called "eosinophilic granuloma complex." The conventional treatment is steroids, but I would not recommend starting steroids unless it's really driving the cat crazy, since the side effects are so severe.

A hypo-allergenic diet and extra vitamin E and Omega-3 fatty acids help a lot of cats heal up from this.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I recently started my cats on a new canned food that they LOVE! I can buy it at whole foods which is also a plus, as it's convenient and available to me. They also sell it on www.petfooddirect.com

Anyway, I'm not sure that it would be considered Hypoallergenic, as i'm still trying to educate myself on what that is for cats. Does it mean only eating foods like venison, duck and rabbit, or does it mean staying away from corn, soy, wheat, etc. If that's all it is, I have a good recommendation in terms of food.

It's called PetGuard, I'll read some things off the label.

PetGuard
Natural Food for your cat
Omega ~ 3
Omega ~ 6
E with Ester-C
Free of Corn, Soy, Wheat and Yeast.
Without by-products, artificial flavorings, artificial color, preservatives, sweeteners, or suggars.

They also list a company address AND phone number - which I thought was a very good sign. They usually don't give you a phone number to call. The big cans are 14oz...that's a LOT of food for the price you pay $1.35 at whole foods per can.

Dr. Jean said it was a good company also.

check out their website www.petguard.com

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thankz everyone for your replies, i'll be sure to look into those types of foods :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts