Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old Siberian isn't much of an eater. He is growing, so he must be eating enough and he has barrels of energy. I'm trying to get him over to a raw diet. He eats some ground meat: chicken and turkey and has eaten a few thigh chicken pieces and has had fun chewing on them. Chicken wings are a no go at this point -I've tried them at least 3 times.

I have finally taken to leaving some freeze dried Stella & Chewy out on a plate when I leave for work just so I know he is getting some nutrition. Tonight I am going to stop by an Asian market close to house and see what I can find. I know they have chicken hearts... but I was thinking of beef and pork... any other suggestions? I even pour some sardine juice over the meat and he still isn't interested. I am getting worried that he will be malnourished... it has been less than a week though...

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Look for quail. Chicken bones are too big for cats for the most part--quail is a much more appropriate size. Cut in half--1/2 quail is 1 meal for a cat.

I get quail, as well as pork hearts, liver, and kidneys, at the Asian market.

How many times a day are you offering food and how long do you leave it available?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your suggestions. I am offering food 3x a day. Morning before work, when I get home then I put it out for a bedtime snack. he seems to eat more at the two mealtimes at night. I leave it out for about 30 minutes each time. I have been mainly going with ground meat with Earth Animal Raw Complete supplement or chunks of chicken thigh meat. Do you get just pork hearts, livers and kidneys?

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
My cats eat mostly whole mice. I get the other stuff for the dogs, although the cats get quail a few times a week (with a little liver), and occasionally heart.

I recommend offering whole food. Ground is fine to transition with, but if the cat doesn't like it that's not helping much. Try getting some heart--cats usually LOVE it. Cut it into tiny pieces at first and when the cat is eating it well, offer pieces the size of a large mouse (1 of those per meal).

Get bone in the diet ASAP. Cut 1/2 quail into 5-6 pieces at first--then offer it whole (1/2 quail) so the cat can work on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry--but I just can't bring myself to buy mice and feed them. Quail is even pushing it. I was hoping to be able to do chicken wingettes (tips) or cornish hen wings?? They need bone about 3 times a week right?

How often can I feed hearts? Ugh... maybe I have gotten myself in too deep. It's just that it seems so healthy and he wasn't really liking anything commercial.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am interested and have read a lot about the Frankenprey model raw diet. It's just easier said then done trying to get my kitty to agree with me :)

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
I am sorry--but I just can't bring myself to buy mice and feed them. Quail is even pushing it. I was hoping to be able to do chicken wingettes (tips) or cornish hen wings?? They need bone about 3 times a week right?
Trust me--feeding mice isn't easy for me. I'm an ethical vegan--just feeding raw meat to 3 dogs and 4 cats has been extremely difficult! It does get easier over time. I didn't start out feeding mice. ;)

I'm confused, though--why are you oogier about feeding quail than chickens? Same thing exactly--just smaller and MUCH more appropriate. Cornish hens are OK as well--feed 1/4 of a hen per meal.

3X a week is not often enough for bone-in food. Should be every 3rd meal or so (cat fed twice daily).
How often can I feed hearts? Ugh... maybe I have gotten myself in too deep. It's just that it seems so healthy and he wasn't really liking anything commercial.
Heart is just meaty meat. It's muscle, not organ. Feed it any time you want to, as the 80% meat part of the diet.

Have you looked over this site? Raw Fed Cats

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. Remy hasn't eaten any bone yet. Do I just plop down either a 1/2 a quail (cut up in smaller portions) or a 1/4 of a hen and see what happens?

So the Earth Animal I bought to supplement raw (ground) meat I don't use at all?

Yes I have red the Raw Fed Cats... along with numerous other articales... my head is swimming.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Chicken hearts are my other top recommendation. Might want to chop these up into 4-5 pieces each, especially since he's only 5 months old.
I don't think this is necessary. My cats can take a whole chicken heart at 5 month old. If absolutely needed, cutting into 2 pieces should be good enough :)
My cats do have some difficulities picking up the hearts though (even now), since it's round and kinda slippery. So I scissor the hearts open a bit so that they bite easier.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I got my Sasha over a year ago, but he was exactly 12 weeks when I got him. I started him immediately on raw and some canned EVO since he was super skinny. I started him with wing tips as far as bone, but everything else, he jumped right in with both feet. He was a pretty hungry kitten so I had no issues with him not eating. He is now a huge kitty, but very svelte. We call him long and lanky because he's never managed to gain any extra weight ;) He is a lucky guy to have one of those metabolisms. About 6 months ago, we switched over to full frankenprey raw.

If your cat is not taking to it right away, you can always try a half raw and half canned diet until your cat is ready to switch over entirely.

Yes, chicken hearts are a tried and true favorite in my house. I call them the Godiva for cats. They would eat them all day long if I let them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kitty-the Cat --- do you do Frankenprey? I think I will start with hearts and pork.
Do you have a menu plan you could share? I think I just worry that something bad will happen to my little guy if I don't get this diet down right away. But I am a bit of a perfectionist... so I think I need to relax a little.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everybody's suggestions. My cat hasn't been much of an eater really. Even wet food or kibbles -- so I figured hopefully raw would work. He obviously is eating something... at 5 months he is a little over six pounds. He never begs and has tons of energy... I will keep people posted. It looks like though, I don't need to worry about the bones right away. Is this true?

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Thanks for everybody's suggestions. My cat hasn't been much of an eater really. Even wet food or kibbles -- so I figured hopefully raw would work. He obviously is eating something... at 5 months he is a little over six pounds. He never begs and has tons of energy... I will keep people posted. It looks like though, I don't need to worry about the bones right away. Is this true?
Well, pretty soon, yes--a growing cat MUST have calcium. You need to get him eating 80/10/10 ASAP.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kitty-the-Cat, I think your speed seems like my speed. My kitty never eats her plate clean. Tonight I tried some chicken hearts and strips of pork with a tad of chicken liver on the plate as well. He didn't touch anything.... so... I mixed some of my Instinctive choice wet food by Life's Abundance with some pork, chicken heart and liver... he did eat most of the plate.

How much wet food do you give at night with the chicken hearts... think I might do that, could I add a little liver? He is a growing kitten - 5 months and a little over 6 pounds.

I have EVO grain free kibble... how much do you give as a snack? Is it okay to feed this high quality kibble with the raw mix? I would like to do this... but I don't want to be a bad mommy and I heard it was bad. He doesn't overeat... and it might help him as a kitten to grow.

I am really stressing myself and feel like this bone thing probably won't work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kitty-the-cat, I did also just buy a supplement put out by Earth Animal called Raw Complete. It should be added or sprinkled on raw food to get a complete diet.

By using this it should ease my concern for calcium. If he chews on the meat chunks that helps his teeth right? Maybe I will stick with the freeze dried as a kibble type snack instead of using actual kibble.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Yup--chewing through bigger hunks of meat is great for the teeth. Kibble not only doeso nothing to clean teeth but the starches in kibble form a coating over the teeth, leading to plaque/tartar buidup.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay, thanks... I am steering now toward a canned/raw diet. Is it true that if the kitten is eating more than 30% raw I need to worry about balance? If I add a little supplement... that should take care of that.

I'm just thinking ahead here... if I do go away I will need to think of a diet that can be adjusted to someone coming over just once a day. I'ld love people's thoughts on this. Perhaps I should start a new thread.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Honestly, I am uncomfortable about combining canned/raw or commercial raw/real raw. It is pretty easy to get the balance right if you feed real raw at an 80/10/10 ratio. When you start messing w/ that, you're taking a risk IMO. I have no experience mixing the 2 (other than when transitioning) and will make no recommendations about that other than to say that I can't recommend it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks... for now I am doing ground meats and sometimes some cut up meats with a balanced supplement and then canned food and also meals of stella and chwy's rehydrated freeze dried food. I think this is a happy medium. He is definitely off of kibble and not missing it. I feed him 3x a day -- morning then around 6:30 then a later night snack. He shows no interest in bones and I've tried cornish hen and chicken wings. He gets his chewing from the chunks of meat in his ground meat.
I may look into HareToday... but not right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts