Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if this is more behavioral or health-related, so I posted it in both...

Background:

I've had my cat Indy since she was 5 weeks old. I got her from a friend who didn't know her cat was pregnant. So she's never been outdoors, not even on a patio. I am a college student so she's moved to different apartments with me three times and is good riding in the car. She's spayed and was current on all her shots when I got my next kitten.

She was my only cat until December of 2005, when I took Phoenix, a 4-week-old kitten from my job (I work at a horse center and one of our barn cats had kittens--I took her due to extrenuating circumstances as it was very cold and they were kept in a small room with only a concrete floor and a cardboard box and people that worked there were starting to leave the door open and they were getting into our Gator--I actually took her two other siblings and found them homes as well).

Anyway, so I got Phoenix when Indy was about 2.5 years old. At 6 weeks, Phoenix was tested for FeLV and FIV which was negative, and got all her shots over the next 2 months and is spayed and current on all shots. At first, Indy would hiss and didn't want much to do with her, but they finally were buddy-buddy about 4 months later, around March of this year.

At the end of July of this year, I got attached to a kitten at PetsMart who was being housed there for my local animal shelter, and consequently adopted him. He (Evo) was almost 4 months old, and was already neutered and had his first FVCRP, and I was *told* that he was tested for FeLV and was negative. But when I was going through his papers they'd given me, I saw no record of it, so I called the shelter to check and they said they had no record of him getting the Leukemia test.

I was quite perturbed at this, as since I was told he was negative, I wasn't worried that Indy wasn't overdue for her FeLV shot. When I found that out, I immediately took her in and got her the shot (she had been with him for about a week--she got it on Aug. 24th 2006). When I took Evo in to get his 2nd set of shots, I was told they don't do the FeLV test on kittens under 5 months old, and as he'd only been indoors, I wasn't too worried about it.

Thru the end of September and the beginning of October, I noticed that Indy seemed to be losing weight and I figured it was because the younger kittens will finish before her and walk over to her food dish and she'll just walk away. So, I started locking each of them in a separate room to eat and giving her a little more. But after 3 weeks, she still not only didn't put on any weight, but continued to lose it.

That's when I got really worried, so I took her in to get bloodwork done, and all of her cell counts were normal and her kidney, liver, and thyroid functioning are normal. Two days after I took her in for the bloodwork, she stopped eating. On the 3rd day of not eating, I got her to eat some pieces of hamburger, but that was it. I will confess, I didn't know as much as I should've about Feline Leukemia, so I did some reading, and then was terrified that what she had and that she'd passed it to my other two cats. So I had her tested for both FeLV and FIV, which came back negative as did my other cats who all now have the shot.

My vet in my hometown recommended trying to feed her Prescription Diet A/D, so I got that and was excited at first because she ate about a fifth of a can the first time I offered it, and then she went back to turning her nose up at any food I offered. So it's now been 7 days since she stopped eating, and all she had was some burger on day 3 and some tuna juice today. What I find so weird is that she shies away when I try and put food in front of her, like how an abused dog would act if someone raised a hand to it, but I've never hit her.

I have two theories... either
1) She has something wrong that the vet can't figure out, or...
2) She's begun to associate food with something bad since I was always yelling at Phoenix and Evo when they tried to get her food.

PLEASE let me know what you think it could be and what steps I can take to help her... I'm at a loss...

Thanks so much,
Halo

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I have no idea what is going on with your kitty, but I just wanted to tell you that a cat that has eaten virtually nothing for 7 days is at an extremely high risk for getting fatty liver disease, which is often fatal.

When is the last time she went into the vet? Has she been in since she stopped eating? She needs to go back to the vet and be put on supplimental feeding, either force-feeding, or if that doesn't work, they will have to put a tube in.

I'm really sorry that this is happening to your kitty. Please take her back to the vet right away, as her not eating for this long is an EMERGENCY!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.