Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a long story but basically, my cat was missing for 2 months, we finally got him back (we think) but I have a few questions and would really appreciate some advice and answers if anyone has any. My cat was an extremely friendly lovable cat. Im not going to go into the story of how we got him back because it's quite long but we think we did it. We trapped him and got him into our home. This cat looks very similar to my cat and I'm confident it is him but there are some differences that are throwing me off. My cat had very faint small white hairs on his chest but now there are multiple white hairs and are very noticeable. My cat was outside in the cold alone for 2 months far from home so it is understandable he was extremely stressed and worried which might have caused the white hairs as well as a poor diet due to a lack of food source. My cat right now is extremely scared and we think he might be sick because he is hiding (We are taking him to the vet in a few hours) He looks all puffed up because he's scared I'm assuming. He is not afraid of me and has not hissed, bite, or meowed. He doesn't seem scared to be here but he looks like he's trying to remember where is and who we are again. Its been 2 months of being away from home so its understandable that he would be confused and terrified. My question here is, is it normal for cat's appearance to change in 2 months due to stress and anxiety (eg. white fur). Also, how long will it take for my cat to become his loveable self again? I feel horrible he seems so scared and sick but again he will be visiting the vet soon. My best way to explain it is if you visit someone in the hospital who is sick you know who that person is but they appear different due to sickness and you don't get that same feeling when you look at them, that's how I feel with my cat, it looks like my cat but somethings off. Thank you to anyone who reads all of this and i appreciate all replies.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I don't know. When we had a cat missing, he was gone for a year. When we finally got him back, he settled right back in, remembering all the routine of our lives, no problem, He was "home" at once... even remembered our little games with his treats and our other cat.

So I'm suspicious about your cat, that it might not be your cat.... Of course if the cat you have trapped is a stray and needs a home, he's your cat now, and that would be fine, but if you trapped him away from other people, that would be poor.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is your cat microchipped or the one that you caught? I'm not sure about his appearance changing. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts