Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My cat got out on the evening of the 2nd and returned home around 11pm on the 3rd. She is an indoor cat, so that amount of time outside was probably quite traumatic for her. After searching everywhere with no luck, she eventually found her way back home. She was soaking wet from rain and missing a few patches of fur (no cuts though) and just really scared. She has done nothing but drink tons of water. She normally has a very healthy appetite but has refused wet and dry food so far. Other than that she just seems nervous, but in good health. Do you think this is normal behavior or should we take her to a vet? Its only been about 12 hours since her return, and after drinking tons of water last night she went to sleep. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome!
Hmmm. I think, if she does not eat at least something w/in the next 12hrs, and especially after she wakes, you may need to take her to the vet for a blood test to see what is going on inside.

I do not wish to alarm you with the following story, but I do feel you should have this information handy and know what to look for (not eating, acting 'ill' or nauseated) and what to do (vet) to help your kitty recover.

Cats who do not eat for several days (especially heavier housecats) are in very real danger of developing Hepatic Lipidosis, or Fatty Liver, and if left untreated it can be deadly. Luckily, usually all that is required for curing...is getting the cat to eat. Sometimes this also involves *making* the cat eat.
My cat, Malibu developed HL/FL in the fall of 2006, which was the reason I joined CF. After we got a diagnosis from our vet, I was able to treat her at home and saved her.
I think your cat is probably just exhausted and dehydrated from her scary experience outdoors and after a rejuvenating rest, she should bounce right back to her usual self.
Best of luck,
Heidi

PS...is your kitty spayed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input! I appreciate any sort of info I can get. And yes, she is spayed, so luckily no worries on that end! :)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
violentjems said:
...luckily no worries on that end! :)
Whew! :lol: I hope she wakes up good and hungry. Do feed her, but I think I would prefer for it to be a small-ish meal so she doesn't gorge and then throw it all back up. Give her two small feedings spaced a few hours apart and if she keeps them down she can return to whatever feeding schedule you keep her on. The most important thing, is that she *eats*.
Keep us posted for how she does...
h

1 - 4 of 4 Posts