Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a coupon in the mail the other day from the local pet food store I shop at. The coupon was for Lotus Grain Free Cat Food. I took it in and got two free cans (5.5 oz) for the price of the tax, which was 24 cents! :jump

They don't list the canned cat food on their website, so I'm wondering if it is new.

Anyone tried this food? My two seem to be enjoying the turkey flavor they are eating right now. Here are the ingredients:

Turkey Broth, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Ocean Fish, Dried Peas, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Agar-Agar, Cranberries, Blueberries, Ground Whole Flaxseed, New Zealand Green Mussel, Eggs, Clams, Carrots, Asparagus, Salmon Oil, Olive Oil, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Betaine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid

Crude Protein (Min) 8% Crude Fat (Min) 5% Crude Fiber (Max) 1.5%
Moisture (Max) 78%

It doesn't seem to have Taurine, isn't that usually listed? Anyway, the two free cans seemed to be a steal.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Never heard of it here...maybe its new and the you got it for a steel b/c they're trying to introduce it to the market.

I'm no expert but ingredients look as good as most other canned foods, but for the lack of Taurine. Cats absolutely need Taurine, so if its not in the food, you need to supplement. It probably won't hurt to feed as an occasional meal, as long as their other foods provide enough Taurine.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Yes, the grain free cat cans are new to the line. They make a decent food, I have the dog cans in my store but they're pricey and don't sell all that well. The dry food is way overpriced and I don't carry it. I did notice that the new cat cans were more reasonable.

Protein level is kind of low at 8% and fat is on the low side also. So it looks like this is pretty carb heavy for a canned food. It meets AAFCO standards, so it has to have enough taurine whether naturally occurring or supplemented. I think there's something about their process and formulas that does not destroy the natural taurine.

BTW what is the consistency of the food?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got free samples of the dry cat food at my independent pet food store over the holidays. I left them out by accident, and my cat, Mimi, busted into them. She really liked the samples.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts