Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I put in a handful of tomato plants for my father. Last year I planted Big Beef variety and the tomatoes were wonderful. I planted the same variety this year, but when they're cut open they have a lot of white hard veiny stuff in them and very little flavor.

There are two things that are different this year....we have had a ton of rain. I have run my sprinklers once in the last 6 weeks. I believe we broke the record for the rainiest July. The other thing was that last year I bought the plants in a local nursery and this year I bought them in Home Depot.

So would rain cause this? Are Big Beef's the same whether you get them at more of an upscale place vs Home Depot? I'd like to understand this and avoid it next year if I can (obviously I can't control the rain, but I can go back to the local nursery).

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Personally myself, I would believe it to be because of where you got the plants from. For example. I bought some flowers from Wal-Mart when I was there, it was handy, and I didn't have to run anywhere else. My neighbor took the time to go to a very nice plant nursery, though she did pay more for her plants. Her flowers are gorgeous..........mine look terrible! 8O

·
Banned
12,195 Posts
Even the tomatoes in the grocery stores aren't very good, and most of those come from who knows where, so I don't know what the deal is. This summer's been great weather for other things that grow, though: grass, weeds, bushes, my trees. I'm still having to cut the grass every week and normally this time of year it can go two or three weeks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
coaster said:
I'm still having to cut the grass every week and normally this time of year it can go two or three weeks
Wow Tim, I wish my grass was down to once every 2 or 3 weeks. atm I still have to cut it twice a week to keep it looking trim. If I do it once a week it takes forever because I have to top it first then cut it (the things you learn as a first-year gardener!).

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
My tomatos are way behind this year because of the cold May. In past years we have had a lot of blossom end rot but so far so good this year. We are already getting tons of cucumbers, though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had great results this year with my tomatoes even though we had floods early on and now baking hot temps.

I only grow heirloom varieties which I raise from seed and IMHO they produce a far better fruit and are well worth the extra effort.

I save the seeds each year and grow more plants so it's a bit like recycling innit? :D

I've even got 3 or 4 healthy looking volunteer plants which popped up in my compost!

Mick.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know Lowes has a thing that if your plant dies within a time limit that you can bring it back to replace it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Mine did really good this year, I grew the 'better boy' hybrids. It's my peppers that aren't doing so well. Lost quite a bit with the hailstorm last week, I had maters that literally exploded. 8O

·
Registered
305 Posts
Doodlebug-

I feel for you. We have been doing a garden for the past 3 years, and this is the 1st year we had good tomatoes. So.........SSSHHHHH!!!!! Please don't jinx it for me. We had the best homemade salsa ever this year. KNOCK ON WOOD.

I really do feel your disappointment though.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I put in a garden for the first time this year. I have tons of green tomatoes, but they just will not ripen. It's been weeks! I finally have 2 that are turning orange, and I think if I can get one good tomato sandwich this year I will be lucky.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Not that I'm growing any but, seems like the corn around here is pretty lousy this year. Of the 4 times I've bought it, only 1 batch was sweet & tender. How do you test for sweetness anyway?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Leazie said:
I put in a garden for the first time this year. I have tons of green tomatoes, but they just will not ripen. It's been weeks! I finally have 2 that are turning orange, and I think if I can get one good tomato sandwich this year I will be lucky.
Try bringing a few indoors and standing them in a bright location in the house. This may speed up the ripening by a few days.

Don't put them in bright, direct sunlight though as they may get sun scald.

HTH

Mick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts