Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a super lovable male cat named Jasper who is 4 years old. He is very needy and loves to be petted constantly. He had a sister cat who was a litter mate. I adopted them both when they were a few weeks old. The female cat ran away a few months ago and I also moved to a new residence. Now, before you list those reasons as factors, the cat was spraying before all this happened.

I'm sure its a behavioral thing. I keep his litter box clean and give him what I consider to be an adequate amount of attention, although he always seems to crave more than I give him. He sprays a small amount mainly in places where I spend time like on my couch or under my computer desk. I tried this new product called Feliaway that seemed to help but I didnt do it religiously so he has started spraying again. I love this cat to death but I cant handle the spraying. Not on my new leather couch or in my new clean apartment!!

The weird thing is that he is CONSTANTLY exhibiting spraying behavior i.e. backing up against things and shaking his tail, kneading his rear feet etc. but nothing comes out. I know he IS spraying because I've found the evidence but I rarely seem him actually spray. He can do these motions up to 20-30 times per day but rarely actually sprays. He also uses his litter box when he has to reguarly urinate because I've seen the large amount of clumped litter.

I'm going to try the feliaway product again, and my vet recommended amitryptyline. Does anyone have any further ideas I havent listed? I'm at my wits end because I can't tolerate
the mess but I couldnt stand to take him to the pound or have him euthanized. I couldnt give him away because if he continued the bahavior somewhere else the inevitable would happen. thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cats are very territorial and may mark as a warning to others :? If a new member joins the family such as a baby, this can cause stress as a result your cat may spray. Something as easy as your home being remodeled or a neighbor getting a new kitty that might lurk around your home can trigger stress. To eliminate the spraying, you have to find the reason why your kitty is doing this. Usually, a cat spraying is because of hormones, but not necessarily. Is your cat an indoor or outdoor kitty? Changing him to an indoor cat from being able to roam outdoor can be a factor to the spraying. Also, you said your cat had a sister that ran away, well, that could also stress your kitty as well as you moving. If that is the reason, with time your cat should stop. If you catch your kitty in the act of spraying, clap your hands together and shout, which will let your cat know you don't approve, this can help as well.
Good Luck :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with Lexxie but wanted to add that maybe a vet visit is needed. Perhaps there is an underlying medical problem that is causing this. It couldn't hurt to have it checked out. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Amitryptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and is also a migraine medication. I am on this medication. It is an awesome antidepressant but it has the potential to be very dangerous if not used correctly. I wouldn't put a cat on this medication except as a last resort.

Is your cat depressed? You might try getting him a little critter to watch like a hamster or a mouse. He might be lonely. Getting him a friend could help... then again, it could make things worse. Hope this helped.

- koneko

·
Registered
16 Posts
not sure if your cat is neutered if not please have this done. The other thing it can take a long time for the cat to stop spraying once he is nuetered...some cats I'm afriad never stop. The strong smell of an unnuetered cat will lessen once the hormons have left the cat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts