Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, not often, but when im petting Mystery and talking to someone every now and then when i pause my petting, Mystery will lean over and bite my hand or arm- not hard, never ever breaks the skin, its like a small pinch- hold it a few seconds and then let go and go back to sleeping and purring. Or he will randomly do it when he is asleep on me and im watching tv or on my phone. My aunt told me its love bites? Does anyone else have this happen? Its totally random and i never know when he will do it. Its nothing bad right? If it is love bites then thats great, but i want to make sure im not missing anything important

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah. When my kittens were younger (about 2 months old) they gave me those love bites ALL THE TIME. Usually it goes: soft nip without breaking skin, then a few licks, then a soft nip again.

Now they don't do it as often, and when they do it's more surprising because the bite is harder (not too hard, though) and you think they're really trying to get a chunk out of you for a second, but then they follow it with a lick so you know it's all good LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our ~10-month kitten has actually recently started doing this quite a bit! He loves affection and since we've had him (got him at 3 months), he's loved being pet all over. Loves belly rubs and paw massages and everything else. As he's moved into his "teenage" phase and is a bit more feisty, we've noticed that while we're petting him he goes in for these types of bites a lot more often. It's never "aggressive," but just playful, and if we let him clamp on, he usually stops and goes for a few licks like you said. The only problem is that now he's a much bigger and stronger cat, so the friendly/playful bites can actually be quite strong and break the skin if we're not careful!

Our solution is that we've stopped giving affection if he's in a biting mood, or we grab a nearby toy or stuffed animal and let him bite with that if he wants to. We know it's nothing malicious, but we don't want him to get any more comfortable with thinking that hands are "play things" than he already is, in case it reinforces potentially harmful behaviour going forward.

My 2 cents :)

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
MowMow is a love biter. when we're cuddling he does it a lot... my only complaint is that he's also a drooler so it means I get soaked when he bites..

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Personally, I don't like love bites unless they are VERY gentle. IMO most cats get carried away and it's startling and hurts which I do not tolerate. I use a firm NO! and put them on the floor. YOU need to be the judge if the nip is tolerable to you or not. If not, the habit can be broken. Because I spent a week in a hospital due to a cat bite, we do not do teeth in my house.

The exception is Missy who is definitely playing and purring when she uses teeth. I've never broken her of that partly because I have not been consistent with her because I know it's play and frankly she is just so darn CUTE.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MowMow is a love biter. when we're cuddling he does it a lot... my only complaint is that he's also a drooler so it means I get soaked when he bites..
Lolz thank goodness Mystery isnt a drooler xD itb be like having a dog all over again lolz.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Only time Mystery ever bites is during these love bites and they arent ever hard nor come anywhere near breaking the skin ^_^ they dont hurt, just surprise lolz cuz he is so random and gives no clue as to when he gonna do it. He has never ever bitten me negatively. Ive given him baths and all before and he HATES baths with a passion but he has never opened his mouth to bite me ever- he does claw if i dont hold him right but thats normal considering he wants out and im the only thing he has to latch onto- Mystery is very lenient, children can go up to him and pull his tail and he wont even swat or hiss or snap at em. He just walks away and goes to my room. So idt i need to stop him, he never bites me to hurt or lashes out at me, even when extrememly mad lolz he very forgiving. Shadow is another story. He done bit my sis and drew blood cuz she was trying to bring him in and he didnt wanna come. He's bitten me b4 too :l cat has some issues, he isnt too fond of people and we had to teach the kids to not touch him. Ive gotten attacked just for laying by him once lolz ornery thing. Theyre such opposites! And he turns into demon cat in a bath! My sis makes me bathe him, wont go anywhere near him when wet. My arm gets all scratched up >_< even when i try scruffing him like my aunt said. If he cant bite u can bet he gonna claw... and if u go near him after his bath? You gonna be walking away with some fresh bite marks. Shadow really likes being kept to himself xD he a sweet cat only when he wants lovings lolz. They grew up outside tho so its expected for him to be fiesty. He was always fighting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mocha always gave love bites, in the skin between the thumb and pointer finger, when she was really happy. It was a gentle nip usually. She gave the only to me and right up to a couple weeks before she died. She learned (through trial and error) just how gentle to be. She knew from kitten-hood that the words "Bad Mochie" meant she would be put into time-out in her least favourite place....the dreaded laundry room. That was all we ever had to say to her and she would immediately stop, give a crabby look, and thump off.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Of my cats, Winston is the love biter. When I am petting him he will gently nibble on my wrist or fingers. I think it is cute.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aw that is cute xD hmm My cats dont have a time out place lolz. But i got em when they were adults... they are pretty well behaved though thankfully. Lolz well cept Ashes but he young. And he dont do love bites but does an insane amount of licking! Yowchy

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Our ~10-month kitten has actually recently started doing this quite a bit! He loves affection and since we've had him (got him at 3 months), he's loved being pet all over. Loves belly rubs and paw massages and everything else. As he's moved into his "teenage" phase and is a bit more feisty, we've noticed that while we're petting him he goes in for these types of bites a lot more often. It's never "aggressive," but just playful, and if we let him clamp on, he usually stops and goes for a few licks like you said. The only problem is that now he's a much bigger and stronger cat, so the friendly/playful bites can actually be quite strong and break the skin if we're not careful!

Our solution is that we've stopped giving affection if he's in a biting mood, or we grab a nearby toy or stuffed animal and let him bite with that if he wants to. We know it's nothing malicious, but we don't want him to get any more comfortable with thinking that hands are "play things" than he already is, in case it reinforces potentially harmful behaviour going forward.

My 2 cents :)
I LOVE love bites :D Most of our kitties are pretty good about it, but Torri is little, has pointier teeth, and didn't learn as much bite-control (my fault, she was my first kitten).

You've got this exactly right. Both my boys had to learn how hard to give love bites. I did exactly as you describe and once they stopped being silly teenagers they both still give nice soft nibbles.

That being said, Muffin has taken to love-biting my SO's tummy...and he HATES it! lol XD I probably shouldn't think it's so funny, but it's absolutely hilarious. He'll be sitting in his computer chair with his feet up gaming, with Muffin draped along his legs and Muffin will be purring away watching daddy intensely...then daddy stops paying attention and Muffin sloooowwlyyy stretches his neck out and opens his mouth and oh so gently nibbles my SO's tummy. Then my SO yelps and jerks away, and Muffin looks so pleased with his big fat drool spot on my SOs shirt. It's HILARIOUS!

My SO calls it 'nursing' and has taught Muffin the words 'no nursing!', like I taught them all 'no pretties' (necklaces and earrings) when they were babies XD!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
My cat, Chester, does it to me every morning when he wants me to get up and feed him. If I leave any part of my body exposed he will nip at it repeatedly (except for my face).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts