Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sage lets us know when she wants attention by climbing on the dresser and putting her 2 front paws on mine or Dave's chest if we go over to her. We pick her up and pat her, she loves it and purrs. Then she'll bite our arm or shoulder. She won't run away, I've heard of cats suddenly changing their mind and not wanting to be patted so they bite and run away. But she bites (not enough to break skin) but still purrs and sits there in my arms. She'll do it to both of us, and we know it means she's happy, but does anyone know why they do it exactly? I don't mind it, I'm not trying to train her to not do it. But I was just wondering.

PS -All the things online say it means the cat has had enough. But I know what that is, I've had cats do that to me before. This is different, Sage gets upset if we put her down after she "love" bites us. She wants to come back into our ams. Her tail never twitches, she's calm and docile while she does this. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dusty will bite, gently not hard if you love her up. I say they are love bites. It isn't because she wants to go or anything, it's more like she just can't get enough. :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Allie also does that! When she started, I was suprised and looked on the internet as to why she does this. Unfortunatly there is not much on it. So I guess it's just a feline way to show they love you.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Cleveland does that. He loves to nuzzle in and then will give a gentle bite, usually does it if I slow down my petting, kind of a 'hey, remember me, I'm the one that gets your attention'

·
Registered
709 Posts

I love my kitty bill's love bites, he bites then meows and licks where he bit, even tho it didn't hurt lol. it's so sweet, just comes to show that our cats love us!

·
Registered
465 Posts
A kitty at the place where I volunteer used to do that. You'd open his cage and stand by it and he'd run up, put one paw on each shoulder, and rub his face against yours. Then you'd pick him up and he'd get so into the petting that he'd bite your ear. Sooooo adorable. I wanted him so badly, but my parents said no more cats...

So yeah, I think it is a "love bite"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Knievel does that to me too. Except with Knievel, he only knows how to bite hard and harder. Normally he does it when I'm in bed. He'll jump up purring and rubbing against me and then he'll bite my nose, especially if I'm not giving him enough attention (which often happens because I'm half asleep when he gets in this mood usually). But Knieval bites so hard that I had to push him away, which would leave scratches from his teeth on my nose. I know he means well because he normally does this when he's feeling the most affectionate, but I always have to explain to people that the marks on my nose are actually love bites. After pushing him away all the time he doesn't do it that much anymore. Though now that I got him to stop for the most part, I kind of miss it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I get home from work or after being gone a while M is at that door and flops onto his back feet up belly in air. He gets his rub down till he bites me and runs off :twisted:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Addison does this too. Though she mainly licks me, she will lick my hand for a while, suddenly give me a little chomp and then go back to licking my hand again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jazz does this to me - I never really thought anything of it until I read the post. Otis, on the other hand, none....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts