Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had many many cats, but my current one does something I have never seen before. He is currently about a year old, and he's fixed.

What he does is this;

When he gets in a lovey mood I'll just be petting him and he'll be purring off the hook and rubbing his face all over me. He'll do this for awhile, but almost every single time we have these moments- his mood just switches in an instant and he'll latch onto me and start biting me (not friendly at all, mind you- often draws blood). I never do anything to provoke this sudden change in mood. At this point it's like he's a different cat, he tenses up and his eyes dilate. I usually grab his scruff to knock him away from me but he launches at me to try and latch on again.

Once I get away from him, his mood switches to nonchalant and he'll just go about his business like nothing happened and I can go up to him and pet him again with out him caring. During his intensely aggressive moment, I've tried water and it doesn't phase him. I've tried flicking his nose every time he tries to bite me- this works ok- he'll sit back growling with his ears back trying to find a way to bite me (his whole goal in his aggressive state is to find a way to bite me preferably on open skin). Although flicking him on the nose is able to hold him off, it can turn out to be a very long stand off if I keep at it. I think the longest time I tried to hold him off was about a half hour. It's obvious he doesn't learn from past experiences, so I usually just cover my body in a blanket so he can't get at my skin (luckily he doesn't go for the face) and he'll lose interest pretty fast.

I have no idea what sets him off, especially when he's in such a loving mood. Has anyone else experienced this? Again, this is definitely not a playful biting. I know the difference.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Makes sense too considering his first four months as a kitten were void of human interaction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts