Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

My fiancé's grandfathers cat is diabetic and they're having issues managing his diabetes. I remember reading about how low carb wet food is essential in managing it but they had him eating Purina DM and now original Science Diet.

I was hoping you could recommend some food I could include in some research for them to take to the veterinarian.

Thanks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know there are specific foods for diabetic cats. EVO, Wellness Core and others are low carb, but other than that I can't address if they are good for diabetics

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
I have a vet sending the owners of her diabetic patients into my store for Go! Grain Free canned food. She has been experimenting with various brands and feels that she's had the most success with Go!

·
Registered
147 Posts
HI Scottd
I have a diabetic cat, we feed him mostly Fancy Feast. The food needs to be under 10% dry carbs. Purina DM is over 10% carbs. My cats B/G's were in the 500's and now with proper diet and Tight Regulation my boy as not needed Insulin sence 7-8-11 and his B/G's (I check every 3 days now) are in the 60's to 90's there is a forum you should check out Diabetic Cat Care Diabetic Cat Care • Index page
here are some of the fancy feast I feed Good Luck
Fancy Feast Classic Pate All grain and gluten free, no veggies, fruits
Chicken Feast (wine label color)........ 6.81%
Tender Beef & Liver (magenta)........ 9.09%
Tender Liver & Chicken (orange)....... 6.81%
Chopped Grill (kelly green)............. 5.45%
Tender Beef & Chicken (red)............ 5.45%
Tender Beef (brown)..................... 9.09%
Turkey & Giblets (olive green).......... 6.81%

·
Registered
709 Posts
I live in England, so have no idea if you can get this brand, but Kattovit does some food for diabetic cats. We tried some of the single protein for Evie's intolerances and she loved it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
One of the raw members from a group I belong to said that when her relative switched from pet food to a raw diet (which has absolutely NO carbs if just meat, bone and organ is consumed), their cat was able to come off of insullin. Still had to be monitored though. Something to look into.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You're absolutely correct, Beth.

Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins, author of YourDiabeticCat.com, in her book, Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life: “I have never seen a single case of serious obesity, diabetes, urinary tract disease, or IBD in a cat fed meat instead of commercial dry foods. Many other people have seen the same results. Further, I do not see nutritional deficiencies in cats fed properly balanced raw-meat diets. I want to emphasize a point here. The incidence of these problems has not just declined on a raw-meat diet, they have entirely disappeared. These results are too dramatic to ignore.”

The Feline Nutrition Education Society has more info (Feline-Nutrition.org) on the benefits of feeding obligate carnivores - like our cats - their natural diet, for anyone interested in researching the topic.

AC
I just wish I knew about the raw diet and was not a die-hard kibble feeder when I had my springer. She passed from complications from canine diabetes. I blame it on the kibble. That's why my three cats and my fish are on a raw diet. Kibble is NOT allowed in my home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts