Cat Forum banner

Lucky Food Find?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rightsaidfed 
#1 ·
This is my first post, but I've been lurking for weeks.

I may have hit the jackpot at a discount store nearby, but I'd love for someone to look at the food ingredients to confirm and also tell me whether it's OK to feed my 16-week old what appears to be adult cat food. I've been reading these forums for weeks about raw food vs wet food vs dry food and all combinations of the above. I've decided what works best for me and my lifestyle is wet twice a day with dry kitten food left out while I'm at work. He'll also get a bit of raw meat a few times a week when I'm cooking dinner more as a treat than as a diet.

I found 3-oz cans of Newman's Own Organics Grain Free cat food in the Beef and Beef and Liver varieties priced at $0.69/can. Most sites list it closer to $1.59-$1.69/can. I googled the heck out of it and found most people complaining about the price and that their cats don't like it. No one seemed to be complaining about the quality of ingredients though.

I bought one of each flavor and my kitty ate it up where he typically only picks at his Blue Buffalo kitten wet food. I triple checked the expiration dates and there are about 3 months left before they all expire (which is why I'm guessing they landed at the discount store to begin with).

I just feel like there's a catch I'm missing. Here are the ingredients:

Beef
Ingredients
Organic Beef, Organic Beef Broth, Alpha Tocopherol, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Retinol Acetate, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine, Thiamine, Natural Vitamin K, Folic Acid, Colecalcipherol, Biotin, Cobalamine, Calcium Carbonate, Iron Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Iodate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Taurine.

Calories
156 kcal per 3 oz can

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 12.0%
Crude Fat (min) 4.5%
Crude Fiber (min) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 82.0%
Magnesium (max) 0.02%
Taurine (min) 0.07%

Beef & Liver
Ingredients
Organic Beef, Organic Beef Liver, Organic Beef Broth, Alpha Tocopherol, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Retinol Acetate, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine, Thiamine, Natural Vitamin K, Folic Acid, Colecalcipherol, Biotin, Cobalamine, Calcium Carbonate, Iron Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Iodate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Taurine.

Calories
140 kcal per 3 oz can

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 10.0%
Crude Fat (min) 3.0%
Crude Fiber (min) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 82.0%
Magnesium (max) 0.02%
Taurine (min) 0.07%
I know kittens require more energy and kitten food is often formulated with more calories, but these seemed pretty high calorie when I compared it to other wet foods I've looked at.

Does anyone see anything I should be concerned about or should I just accept a good thing and enjoy saving some cash for the next couple of months before the expiration date?

I've been doing a ton of reading, but I'm still new to this, so please make any suggestions!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks!

As far as the price, that's only about $.10-$.20higher than the supermarket brands around here. Also, with only 1 cat and supplemented with high quality dry food, I only go through about 4 cans per week. I've put the whole serving down to see how much he eats ands it's never usually more than 1/4 can per sitting.

#4 ·
Thanks for the post. I have wanted to get a better quality of canned food since I changed to mostly canned now. Dry is available but canned preferred now.

Newman's Own Organics Premium Pet Food

i think I will look into this...Right now I have been using 9 lives and Friskies canned food, but not the gravies they offer...they get thumbs down for some reason.

Also, as a fan of Paul and his wife Joanne as actors and people, I would pay the extra cost of their products knowing how they have pledged to share profits.

so thanks for informing me of this product as I have been wanting to upgrade the diets here and this seems like a good place to start.

#5 ·
The price you found it for is about half what it sells for at my local box store for the same sized can. I think it is one of the better brands you could get from a box store that is not Pet oriented. If I found it for that price I would get it since the lesser brands around here run that price anyway.

#8 ·
Thanks for your input everyone! I guess I just thought it was too good to be true. I've been spoiling my new kitten rotten and my wallet is starting to notice. I also plan to get pet insurance. I think spending a few hours on this forum is enough of a sell for all of the expensive what-ifs!

I'm not as worried about staying totally grain-free as I am with making sure he gets something he likes and that has good ingredients leading the list

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.